Stanford hands Yale worst loss in school historyNov 10, 2007 - 2:25 AM NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Jayne Appel scored 20 points as No. 8 Stanford handed Yale its worst loss in school history, 100-44, on Friday night.
The Cardinal (1-0) scored the game's first 16 points. The Bulldogs (0-1) didn't score until Sara McCollum made two free throws with 16 minutes left in the first half.
Yale, hosting a ranked opponent for the first time, didn't score its first basket until Yoyo Greenfield hit a 3-pointer with 14:11 left in the half. Stanford then went on a 27-4 run over the next eight minutes to put the game away.
The Cardinal led at halftime, 56-18, and extended their lead to as many as 56 points in the second half. Kayla Pedersen and Jeannette Pohlen each added 15 points for Stanford.
Jamie Van Horne scored 15 points for Yale, whose previous worst defeat was a 51-point loss to George Washington on December 20, 2005.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STANFORD (8) 56 44 100
YALE 18 26 44 FINAL
Nov 9 5:53 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(8) STANFORD 56
YALE 18 HALFTIME
Nov 9 4:54 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18