Montgomery, big first half lifts UConn over San Diego St.Dec 22, 2007 - 7:02 AM SAN DIEGO (Ticker) -- Renee Montgomery scored 19 points and Tina Charles added 12 and 11 rebounds as second-ranked Connecticut rolled to an 85-53 victory over San Diego State on Friday.
Montgomery, who finished with four 3-pointers, had 14 points in the first half as the Huskies (9-0) raced out to a 49-23 lead at the half.
Brittany Hunter had 14 points, Mel Thomas added 13 and Maya Moore netted 12 for UConn, which shot 54 percent (33-of-61) and held a 53-25 advantage on the boards.
The Huskies did commit 28 turnovers, but offset that with a 42-16 advantage in points in the paint.
Paris Johnson scored 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds for the Aztecs (8-2), who shot 32 percent (20-of-63).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CONNECTICUT (2) 49 36 85
SAN DIEGO ST 23 30 53 FINAL
Dec 22 1:04 AM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(2) CONNECTICUT 49
SAN DIEGO ST 23 HALFTIME
Dec 22 12:11 AM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2