Top-ranked Connecticut routs HartfordDec 30, 2007 - 4:36 AM HARTFORD, Connecticut (Ticker) -- Maya Moore scored 21 points and Tina Charles grabbed a season-high 15 rebounds to lead No. 1 Connecticut to a 70-24 win over Hartford on Saturday.
It was the Huskies' first game since earning the top ranking this season. Renee Montgomery scored 12 points for Connecticut, which opened the season 10-0 for the 10th time since 1994-95, the season the Huskies won the first of their five NCAA titles.
The Hawks (10-3), coming off last week's upset of then-No. 25 Michigan State, managed to stay even with the Huskies for the first five minutes before any hope of another upset ended in UConn's 17-4 run early in the first half.
Hartford committed 17 first-half turnovers and missed 23 consecutive shots over a span of nearly 10 minutes. A layup by Danielle Hood with 9:47 remaining was the Hawks' final field goal of the period.
The second half was more of the same. Hartford made only two field goals in the last 20 minutes and shot 13 percent (7-for-54) from the floor for the game.
UConn outrebounded Hartford, 55-26, and scored 36 points in the paint. The Hawks finished with 25 turnovers, which the Huskies turned into 25 points.
Jamie McCabe led the Hawks with nine points. Hood, who was averaging nearly 17 points a game, was held to five.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
HARTFORD 17 7 24
CONNECTICUT (1) 43 27 70 FINAL
Dec 29 8:53 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(1) CONNECTICUT 43 HALFTIME
Dec 29 7:56 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2