Prince helps Rutgers edge St. John'sJan 6, 2008 - 4:12 AM PISCATAWAY, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Epiphanny Prince had 15 points and Essence Carson scored 13 as sixth-ranked Rutgers recovered from a slow start to post a 58-50 victory over St. John's in the Big East Conference opener for both teams on Saturday.
The Scarlet Knights (11-2, 1-0 Big East) trailed, 14-5, seven minutes into the contest, but rallied to take a 26-23 lead at the break after a 3-pointer by Carson with 56 seconds left in the half.
The Red Storm (9-5, 0-1) cut the deficit to one point at 36-35 with 11:50 remaining, but the Scarlet Knights scored nine straight points to take a 10-point lead and they led by at least five for the rest of the contest.
Rutgers made only 6-of-18 free throws but held a 17-5 advantage in second-chance points.
Monique McLean scored 13 points and Kia Wright added nine points and nine assists for St. John's, which shot just 33 percent (18-of-54) from the field for the game.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ST JOHNS 23 27 50
RUTGERS (6) 26 32 58 FINAL
Jan 5 9:57 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
ST JOHNS 23
(6) RUTGERS 26 HALFTIME
Jan 5 8:47 PM
- Auburn women win in 1st NCAA since '09, beating St. John's Mar 18
- Auburn-St. John's Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women beat Creighton for trip to NCAA tourney Mar 8
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- No. 6 Maryland women beat Rutgers 73-59 Feb 21
- Powers leads No. 25 Michigan State women over Rutgers 70-67 Feb 18
- Harry Perretta wins 699th game as Villanova beats St. John's Feb 12
- January sparks No. 23 DePaul women past St. John's 77-71 Jan 31
- Mitchell scores 22, No. 7 Ohio State beats Rutgers Jan 24
- No. 21 Michigan State women top Rutgers 59-48 after big run Jan 19