Parker sets blocks mark as No. 3 Tennessee rollsFeb 24, 2008 - 11:54 PM KNOXVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Candace Parker scored 19 points and set a new Tennessee record for blocks on Sunday as the No. 3 Lady Volunteers overcame a slow start to defeat Mississippi State, 72-46, in a Southeastern Conference game.
Parker blocked five shots in the win to set a new career record with 247, surpassing Shelia Frost's total of 246.
Shannon Bobbitt and Alexis Hornbuckle each scored 11 points for Tennessee (25-2, 11-1 SEC), which remained a game behind first-place Louisiana State (12-0).
Alexis Rack scored 15 points for the Lady Bulldogs (16-12, 4-9) and Marneshia Richard added 11. Mississippi State shot only 29 percent (17-of-59) from the field.
The Lady Vols had a sluggish offensive first half, shooting just 38 percent. However, Tennessee's defense held Mississippi State without a field goal for over 10 minutes to take a 27-22 lead at the break.
- Lady Vols sign junior-college forward Cheridene Green May 18
- Lady Vols add Winthrop graduate transfer Schaquilla Nunn May 3
- Warlick wants Lady Vols to have more consistent work ethic Apr 29
- Postseason surge gives Lady Vols reason for optimism Mar 28
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26
- UConn advances with record rout, beats Miss State 98-38 Mar 26
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Mississippi St.-UConn Preview Mar 26
- Mississippi State set to take on top-seed UConn Mar 26
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24