Stringer collects 800th victory; Rutgers cruises past DePaulFeb 28, 2008 - 6:03 AM PISCATAWAY, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Essence Carson scored 20 points as No. 4 Rutgers defeated DePaul, 60-46, in a Big East Conference matchup on Wednesday.
Epiphanny Prince had 15 points and Kia Vaughn hauled in eight rebounds for the Scarlet Knights (23-4, 13-1 Big East), who moved into a tie with Connecticut atop the conference.
However, the night really belonged to Rutgers coach C. Vivian Stringer, who joined Pat Summitt and Jody Conradt as the only women's basketball coaches to win 800 games.
Carson, who connected on 4-of-8 from the field and 10-of-11 from the foul line, helped Rutgers go on a 13-0 run to take a 20-11 lead with 5:46 left in the first half.
Overall, the Scarlet Knights shot 40.5 percent (17-of-42) from the field but were 21-of-26 from the charity stripe while the Blue Demons did not attempt one.
Missy Mitdiero scored 21 points for DePaul (18-9, 7-7), which had season lows in points and field goal percentage at 30.5 (18-of-59).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DEPAUL 16 30 46
RUTGERS (4) 20 40 60 FINAL
Feb 27 9:28 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(4) RUTGERS 20 HALFTIME
Feb 27 8:22 PM
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Rutgers comes back to edge Nebraska 66-63 in Big Ten tourney Mar 3
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27