Lavender carries Ohio State past Penn StateFeb 29, 2008 - 2:54 AM STATE COLLEGE, Pennsylvania (Ticker) -- Jantal Lavender scored a career-high 36 points and had 16 rebounds to lead No. 22 Ohio State to an 87-84 victory over Penn State in Big Ten action on Thursday.
Marscilla Packer added 18 points for the Buckeyes (21-7, 12-5 Big Ten), who can clinch the regular-season conference title with a win over last-place Northwestern on Sunday.
Ohio State held a three-point lead at the break and the score was tied at 73-73 with just over seven minutes to play. But the Buckeyes used an 8-2 burst - four points coming from Lavender - to take an 81-75 lead with 4:09 remaining.
The Nittany Lions (13-16, 4-13) fought back and cut the deficit to three on a layup by Mashea Williams with 45 seconds to play. Penn State had a chance to tie the game late, but Kamela Gissendanner's 3-pointer was off the mark.
Gissendanner finished with 25 points and Janessa Wolff added 16 and 10 rebounds to lead Penn State, which has lost 10 consecutive games.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OHIO ST (22) 44 43 87
PENN ST 41 43 84 FINAL
Feb 28 8:54 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(22) OHIO ST 44
PENN ST 41 HALFTIME
Feb 28 8:06 PM
- Lady Vols' NCAA run continues with 78-62 win over Buckeyes Mar 26
- Tennessee-Ohio St. Preview Mar 24
- Short-handed Ohio St. women without Craft against Lady Vols Mar 24
- Ohio State advances to Sweet 16 with win over West Virginia Mar 20
- West Virginia-Ohio St. Preview Mar 19
- West Virginia, Ohio State clash in 2nd round of tournament Mar 19
- Ohio State smothers Buffalo to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Buffalo-Ohio St. Preview Mar 17
- No. 19 Spartans, special Powers rout No. 9 Buckeyes 82-63 Mar 5
- Mitchell scores 43, No. 9 Ohio State beats Rutgers 73-58 Mar 5
- Purdue women top Penn State, 70-59; face Michigan State Mar 3
- Penn State tops Illinois 75-66 at Big Ten women's tourney Mar 2