Carson, Ajavon lead Rutgers to fifth straight winMar 1, 2008 - 10:19 PM PISCATAWAY, New Jersey (Ticker) -- Essence Carson and Matee Ajavon each scored 14 points as fourth-ranked Rutgers cruised to its fifth straight win, 64-49, over Syracuse in Big East Conference action on Saturday.
Judith Ray added 13 points for the Scarlet Knights (24-4, 14-1 Big East), who made 10-of-22 shots from the arc and moved one-half game ahead of No. 1 Connecticut (13-1) in the Big East standings. The Huskies play DePaul later on Saturday and host Rutgers in a conference showdown on Monday.
Trailing by two late in the first half, the Scarlet Knights scored the final 12 points of the half to take a 28-18 lead at the break. Rutgers maintained a lead of at least nine throughout the second half and led by as many as 62-42 with 5:13 remaining.
Erica Morrow scored 15 points to lead the Orange (21-7, 9-6), who shot 36 percent (17-of-47) from the field and committed 18 turnovers.
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SYRACUSE 18 31 49
RUTGERS (4) 28 36 64 FINAL
Mar 1 2:51 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
(4) RUTGERS 28 HALFTIME
Mar 1 1:48 PM
- Wagner guard Jasmine Nwajei transferring to Syracuse May 17
- Syracuse defense cracks under UConn onslaught in title game Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Syracuse hoping for big payoff from run to championship game Apr 4
- Syracuse women beat Washington 80-59, reach NCAA title game Apr 4
- Washington-Syracuse Preview Apr 2
- Huskies, Orange try to keep changes under wraps for rematch Apr 2
- Syracuse women reach new heights under Coach Q Mar 31
- Syracuse women beat Lady Vols 89-67, head to 1st Final Four Mar 28
- Tennessee-Syracuse Preview Mar 26
- Syracuse, Tennessee women set for improbable regional final Mar 26