California advances to Pac-10 finalMar 9, 2008 - 10:20 PM SAN JOSE, California (Ticker) -- No. 9 California advanced to the Pac-10 championship game for the first time in school history on Sunday as Devanei Hampton recorded 19 points and 16 rebounds in a 65-61 victory over Arizona State.
The Bears will take on either sixth-ranked Stanford or UCLA in Monday's title game.
Hampton finished only 7-of-25 from the field but that came after a 2-for-14 effort in the first half.
Natasha Vital added 14 points and Ashley Walker contributed 10 for California (26-5), which led by as many as 16 in the second half before holding off Arizona State's late run.
The Sun Devils (21-10) could not overcome a slow start to the second half, missing 16 of their first 19 shots.
Dymond Simon scored 22 points off the bench for Arizona State, which had a five-game winning streak snapped and now hopes for an at-large berth in the NCAA Tournament.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Tennessee knocks off Arizona State 75-64 in NCAAs Mar 21
- Tennessee-Arizona St. Preview Mar 19
- Arizona State not looking past inconsistent Tennessee Mar 19
- Arizona State opens NCAAs with 74-52 win over NM State Mar 18
- New Mexico St.-Arizona St. Preview Mar 17
- Canada leads No. 12 UCLA past California 73-67 in OT Mar 6
- California stuns No. 10 Arizona St 75-64 in Pac-12 quarters Mar 4
- California tops Utah in overtime 66-63 to advance in Pac-12 Mar 3
- Fields leads No. 14 UCLA past No. 9 Arizona State Feb 28
- No. 7 Oregon State women clinch share of Pac-12 title Feb 28
- Katie Hempen leads No. 9 Arizona State past USC 50-45 Feb 27
- No. 9 Arizona State pulls away for 77-57 win over Washington Feb 21