Appel dominates as Stanford rollsMar 23, 2008 - 3:44 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Jayne Appel's dominant first half helped Stanford breeze into the second round.
Appel scored 29 of her career-high 33 points in the first half as second-seeded Stanford rolled to an 85-47 victory over No. 15 Cleveland State in the Spokane Regional on Saturday.
The sophomore forward-center finished 14-of-19 from the field to finish two points shy of tying the school's NCAA Tournament record for highest-scoring game. She also grabbed 12 rebounds.
Candice Wiggins, the Pac-10's all-time scoring leader, had 13 points and Kayla Pedersen added nine points and 12 boards for the Cardinal (31-3), who had a 45-22 lead at the half thanks to Appel.
Stanford outscored Cleveland State, 38-16, in the paint and held a 57-31 advantage in rebounds.
Kailey Klein scored 16 points for the Vikings (19-14), who were making its first appearance in the NCAAs.
- SPOKANE REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB SPOKANE REGIONAL
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CLEVELAND ST (15) 22 25 47
STANFORD (2) 45 40 85 FINAL
Mar 22 10:24 PM
- SPOKANE REGIONAL
NCAA WOMENS BB (15) CLEVELAND ST 22
(2) STANFORD 45 HALFTIME
Mar 22 10:10 PM
- Washington women beat Stanford 85-76 to reach Final Four Mar 27
- Washington-Stanford Preview Mar 26
- Lexington Regional women's final features Pac-12 showdown Mar 26
- Stanford stuns Notre Dame 90-84 in regional semifinal Mar 26
- Stanford-Notre Dame Preview Mar 24
- Notre Dame, Stanford women facing off in Sweet 16 again Mar 24
- Thompson's 3-point play with 8.2 seconds left lifts Stanford Mar 22
- S. Dakota St.-Stanford Preview Mar 20
- Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer influences so many coaches Mar 20
- Stanford's Tara VanDerveer beats former star Azzi in NCAAs Mar 20
- Tara VanDerveer, former star Jennifer Azzi take NCAA stage Mar 18
- San Francisco-Stanford Preview Mar 18