Fitz, Marist blitz DePaul, advance to second roundMar 23, 2008 - 5:31 AM BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Ticker) -- Using a dominant second half, Marist carried its regular-season success into the NCAA Tournament for the second straight season.
Rachele Fitz scored 23 points as the seventh-seeded Red Foxes won their 22nd consecutive game with a 76-57 first-round victory over 10th-seeded DePaul in the New Orleans Region on Saturday.
Julianne Viani added 18 points for Marist (32-2), which will face second-seeded Louisiana State in the second round on Monday night. The Red Foxes hope to avoid their first loss since December 12.
Trailing by six points at halftime, Marist poured it on the second half, outscoring DePaul, 45-20, to advance in the tournament for the second straight season. It finished the contest on an eye-popping 32-2 run.
The Red Foxes had won their first-ever NCAA Tournament games last season, advancing to the regional semifinals before falling to eventual champion Tennessee.
Allie Quigley scored 15 points for the Blue Demons (20-12), who shot just 28 percent (9-of-32) after halftime.
- Oregon State women first Elite 8 after 83-71 win over DePaul Mar 26
- DePaul-Oregon St. Preview Mar 25
- Oregon State women go from shambles to Sweet 16 vs. DePaul Mar 25
- DePaul beats Louisville 73-72 behind January's 25 points Mar 21
- DePaul-Louisville Preview Mar 19
- Louisville and DePaul renew series for spot in Sweet 16 Mar 19
- DePaul makes 11 3-pointers, routs James Madison 97-67 Mar 18
- James Madison-DePaul Preview Mar 17
- St. John's women upset No. 18 DePaul 75-66 in Big East semis Mar 7
- No. 19 DePaul women beat Marquette 98-65 Feb 27
- No. 21 DePaul women roll to 78-52 win over Creighton Feb 21
- Podkowa leads No. 21 DePaul women past Providence 91-68 Feb 19