Gelinas, Bouwmeester lift Panthers to first victorySep 28, 2006 - 2:10 AM SUNRISE, Florida (Ticker) -- Martin Gelinas and defenseman Jay Bouwmeester scored goals just over three minutes apart in the second period to lift the Florida Panthers to a 2-0 preseason victory over the Atlanta Thrashers.
Alexander Auld stopped 28 shots to notch the shutout for the Panthers, who won their first game after five regulation losses and an overtime setback.
Gelinas' power-play goal gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead with 6:32 left in the second period, when he beat Atlanta goaltender Kari Lehtonen. Bouwmeester scored with 3 1/2 minutes to go.
Lehtonen stopped 35 shots for the Thrashers, who went 0-for-8 on the power play.
Florida, which played without right wing Todd Bertuzzi, went 1-for-6 with the extra man. The Panthers are 1-for-12 on the power play in their last two contests.
Auld and Bertuzzi were part of the five-player deal that sent goaltender Roberto Luongo to Vancouver on June 23. Auld registered career highs with 67 appearances and 33 wins last season.
Atlanta right wing Marian Hossa, whose 92 points were 11th in the league in 2005-06, did not suit up.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25
- Panthers C Nick Bjugstad out for Game 5 against Islanders Apr 24