Jagr makes preseason debut as Rangers fall to IslandersSep 30, 2006 - 3:02 AM UNIONDALE, New York (Ticker) -- Jaromir Jagr gave the New York Rangers reason to be encouraged. Alexei Yashin provided the same for the New York Islanders.
Jagr made his first preseason appearance after offseason shoulder surgery, but Yashin scored with 6:51 to go in the third period to give the Islanders a 2-1 win over the Rangers.
After suffering a dislocated left shoulder in Game One of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals against the New Jersey Devils in April, Jagr underwent an operation and sat out the Rangers' first five preseason contests. The Czech superstar, who set franchise single-season records with 54 goals and 123 points last season, logged just over 21 minutes of ice time Friday on 21 shifts.
Jagr also was on the ice when Yashin beat former Islanders goaltender Stephen Valiquette to snap a 1-1 tie. The second overall pick by Ottawa in 1992, Yashin also set up Miroslav Satan for a power-play goal with 5:18 remaining in the second period.
Valiquette finished with 27 saves.
Former Rangers defenseman Tom Poti had an assist and Rick DiPietro stopped 14 shots for the Islanders.
Brandon Dubinsky scored the lone tally for the Rangers, who recorded just eight shots on goal over the final two periods.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7