Red Wings rally to upend Maple LeafsOct 1, 2006 - 2:19 AM DETROIT (Ticker) -- Andrew Raycroft was in good shape until defenseman Niklas Kronwall ignited a rally by the Detroit Red Wings.
Kronwall scored the first of three unanswered goals at 14:07 of the second period as the Red Wings posted a 4-2 preseason victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
John Pohl and defenseman Bryan McCabe sandwiched power-play goals around Daniel Cleary's shorthander to give the Maple Leafs a 2-1 lead. But Kronwall began Detroit's comeback while on the man advantage with just under six minutes remaining in the second period, beating Raycroft for his second goal of the preseason.
Johan Franzen snapped the tie at 7:40 of the third and Krys Kolanos added an insurance tally just over four minutes later, giving the Red Wings a 4-2 advantage.
Cleary added an assist and Dominik Hasek made 22 saves for Detroit, which closes out its preseason at Toronto on Sunday.
Raycroft stopped 18 shots, including 11 of the first 12 he faced.
The Maple Leafs host the Ottawa Senators in their season opener Wednesday, while the Red Wings begin the campaign at home against the Vancouver Canucks a day later.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25