Torres lifts Oilers past Canucks in overtimeOct 1, 2006 - 5:11 AM VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Ticker) -- Raffi Torres sent the Edmonton Oilers into the regular season with a bang.
Torres cashed in on a nifty sequence midway through overtime as the Oilers recorded a 3-2 triumph over the Vancouver Canucks in the preseason finale for both clubs.
With Edmonton on the power play, Joffrey Lupul sent a cross-ice pass to Shawn Horcoff in the right faceoff circle. Horcoff one-timed a feed to the left of the crease for Torres, who slammed the puck past goaltender Wade Flaherty for his only goal of the exhibition season.
Lupul and Ryan Smyth also netted man-advantage tallies in regulation for the defending Western Conference champion Oilers, who went 3-for-7 with the extra skater.
Daniel Sedin scored twice for the Canucks, while twin brother Henrik Sedin and Markus Naslund each registered a pair of assists.
Both goalies played the entire game. Flaherty finished with 21 saves, while Dwayne Roloson turned aside 30 shots for Edmonton.
The Oilers open their regular season Thursday as they jump right into the fire with a matchup against the rival Calgary Flames. The Canucks kick off the campaign on a four-game road trip, which begins Thursday against the Detroit Red Wings.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11