Zetterberg's shootout goal lifts Red Wings over Maple LeafsOct 2, 2006 - 2:53 AM TORONTO (Ticker) -- Henrik Zetterberg scored in the shootout to lift the Detroit Red Wings to a 3-2 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs in the preseason finale for both clubs.
After Toronto's Mats Sundin and Detroit's Jiri Hudler each scored to open the shootout, Zetterberg scored the game-winner when he deked Toronto goaltender Andrew Raycroft and slid the puck just past his left skate.
Detroit netminder Chris Osgood preserved the victory when he stopped Kyle Wellwood with a glove save.
Zetterberg finished second on the team in scoring last season with 39 goals and 46 assists for 85 points in 77 games.
Detroit led, 2-1, in the third period but Sundin, Toronto's captain, forged a 2-2 deadlock when he beat Osgood at 10:34 on the power play.
Pavel Kubina scored the other goal for the Maple Leafs, who went 1-for-7 on the power play and have lost four straight.
Kubina was assessed a five-minute major for cross-checking and a game misconduct at 18:03 of the first period. The defenseman scored five goals and added 33 assists for 38 points in 76 games with the Tampa Bay Lightning last season.
Kris Draper, starting his 13th season with the Red Wings, and Danny Markov scored for Detroit, which also went 1-for-7 with the extra skater.
Toronto right wing Nik Antropov left the game in the middle of the first period with a lower right leg injury.
Detroit defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, the Norris Trophy winner last season, did not suit up.
The Maple Leafs open the regular season against Northeast Division rival Ottawa on Wednesday, while the Red Wings face the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Red Wings add Jeff Salajko as goalie coach May 17
- Red Wings hire assistant coach Houda, don't re-sign Bedard May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 30
- Penguins and Capitals expect Crosby to respond in Game 2 Apr 29
- New home of Detroit Red Wings to be Little Caesars Arena Apr 28
- Stamkos skates, but not close to returning for Lightning Apr 27
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25