BUSCH Zippo 200

  for this game

Harvick captures Zippo 200 at Watkins Glen

Aug 12, 2007 - 12:28 AM WATKINS GLEN, New York (Ticker) -- Kevin Harvick is on quite a roll.

Harvick posted his third victory in as many starts on the NASCAR Busch Series circuit Saturday, when he won the Zippo 200 at Watkins Glen International.

Entering third in the series standings, Harvick captured the NAPA Auto Parts 200 in Montreal last week, as well as the USG Durock 300 at Chicagoland Speedway on July 14. Saturday's triumph in his Chevrolet Monte Carlo was the 31-year-old's fourth in five starts and fifth overall this season.

"Last week, they all wanted to talk about the controversy," Harvick said, referring to the wreck-filled race at Circuit Gilles Villenueve last Saturday. "I don't think we left them much choice this week but to talk about us."

Jeff Burton finished second in a Chevrolet, just 3.529 seconds behind Harvick, his teammate with Richard Childress Racing. Pole-sitter Kurt Busch was third in a Dodge Charger.

The Chevys of Paul Menard and rookie Brad Coleman rounded out the top five.

Starting in the 11th position on the 2.45-mile track, Harvick led 49 of the race's 82 laps. He grabbed his first lead on lap 24 before surrendering it to defending champion Busch and moved ahead for good on lap 50, taking the front spot from Greg Biffle, who finished 11th in a Ford Fusion.

"We didn't qualify like we wanted to, and we thought our car was really good in race trim," Harvick said. "When they dropped the green flag, it was good to go."

Busch led the pack for the first 12 laps before Canadian Ron Fellows - who finished 24th in a Chevrolet - held the lead from laps 13-23.

With the win, Harvick tied Jack Ingram for second place on the Busch Series' all-time list with 31. Mark Martin tops the list with 47 victories.

Harvick, who began the day 919 points behind standings leader Carl Edwards, remained in third place but closed the gap to 791 points. Edwards, who has 3,534 points, finished 32nd in a Ford.

Edwards pitted for six laps to repair a broken sway bar but returned on lap 75 in order to secure points.

"I think the track-bar mount on one end broke," Edwards said. "I'm sure it's just a failure of a part or something. (My crew) worked really hard. This car was pretty fast, so I feel bad for them."

No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!

Related News