Storm stops Mercury's 3-game win streakJun 22, 2009 - 2:32 AM PHOENIX(AP) -- Lauren Jackson scored 25 points, including a 3-pointer with 1:03 left, as the Seattle Storm ended the Phoenix Mercury's three-game winning streak with a 93-84 victory Sunday night.
Swin Cash added 22 for Seattle, which tied Phoenix for the best record in the Western Conference at 5-2. Sue Bird had 21 points and nine assists for the Storm, who outrebounded the Mercury 37-22 and outscored them inside 42-26.
Diana Taurasi scored 25 points and Cappie Pondexter added 22 for the Mercury, who were looking to match the franchise's best start at 6-1 in 1998.
After Seattle took an 85-74 lead with 5:22, Phoenix scored the next eight points and cut the deficit to three at 85-82. But Seattle stopped Taurasi on a drive to the basket and Jackson hit a 22-footer on the other end. Bird hit another 3-pointer with 29.9 seconds remaining to seal it.
Phoenix hadn't lost at home since Aug. 28, 2008, having won eight in a row at U.S. Airways Center.
Mercury coach Corey Gaines was ejected with 14.4 seconds left after going on the court to argue with officials.
Phoenix took the lead briefly late in the third quarter, but Jackson - who had 16 points in the second half - and Tanisha Wright scored in the final 17 seconds of the period to give Seattle a 68-65 advantage going into the fourth.
Bird then scored the first seven points of the period to give Seattle a 75-65 lead with 8:32 left.
PHOENIX 84 FINAL
Jun 21 10:08 PM
PHOENIX 20 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 21 8:37 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14