Wauters' buzzer-beater sinks LynxAug 10, 2009 - 12:54 AM MINNEAPOLIS(AP) -- Ann Wauters hit a jumper from the free-throw line at the buzzer to lift the San Antonio Silver Stars to a 89-87 win over the Minnesota Lynx on Sunday.
Becky Hammon scored 22 points and set up Wauters' game-winner for the Silver Stars, who moved within a half-game of the Lynx for third place in the Western Conference.
"I did get bumped pretty good, regained the ball and saw Ann was sitting there wide open," said Hammon, who previously played with Wauters in New York. "We like having Ann Wauters on the court."
Wauters, the first overall pick in the 2000 WNBA draft, rejoined the Silver Stars on Aug. 1 after resting for the first two months of the season.
Nicky Anosike led Minnesota with 24 points.
The Lynx (11-11) trailed by as many as 17 in the third quarter, but climbed back into the game with a 20-5 run. Anosike hit a 3-pointer with 20 second left to tie the game at 87.
But on the final possession, Hammon drew the defense and Wauters made the shot.
Hammon had a dozen points in the third quarter and San Antonio hit from beyond the 3-point line five times. The Silver Stars made 13 3-pointers.
"Most teams shoot well in the first half and don't shoot well in the second half, but it was like nonstop with them," Lynx coach Jennifer Gillom said. "To shoot 40 percent from three is pretty awesome."
Anosike scored 12 points as the Lynx led 20-19 after one quarter. There were 10 lead changes in the first half, and San Antonio claimed the last one shortly before halftime, scoring eight points in the final minute of the half to open up a 41-36 lead.
"It kind of came down to who had the ball at the end," San Antonio coach Dan Hughes said. "Minnesota can really score. They attacked us with the basketball a lot stronger and we had trouble keeping them out of the lane."
Minnesota has lost six of its last eight. San Antonio has won twice in Minneapolis this season after losing 12 consecutive games at Target Center dating back to 2002.
SAN ANTONIO 89
MINNESOTA 87 FINAL
Aug 9 7:56 PM
SAN ANTONIO 19
MINNESOTA 20 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 9 6:25 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14