Silver Stars uses balanced attack to edge StormJun 3, 2007 - 4:51 AM SEATTLE (Ticker) -- Vickie Johnson had 13 points and 10 rebounds and Ruth Riley also scored 13 points as the San Antonio Silver Stars coasted to a 78-68 triumph over the Seattle Storm on Saturday.
Shanna Crossley netted 14 fourth-quarter points, Becky Hammond added 12 and Sophia Young chipped in 11 for the Silver Stars, who shot 46 percent (28-of-60) from the field.
The Silver Stars grabbed the lead for good when they bridged the second and third quarters with a 15-6 run, capped by Young's 16-footer at the 6:01 mark.
Holding a 57-51 advantage at the start of the fourth quarter, San Antonio pulled away for good behind an impressive 13-6 run to open the period to make it a 13-point edge.
Lauren Jackson collected 20 points and 14 rebounds and Iziane Castro Marques had 10 and seven for the Storm, who shot 37 percent (26-of-69) and scored 30 points in the paint.
Seattle lost All-Star guard Sue Bird with 4:02 remaining due to an apparent leg injury. She finished with seven points on 3-of-12 shooting.
SAN ANTONIO 78
SEATTLE 68 FINAL
Jun 3 12:00 AM
SAN ANTONIO 57
SEATTLE 51 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 2 11:31 PM
SAN ANTONIO 37
SEATTLE 35 HALFTIME
Jun 2 10:52 PM
SAN ANTONIO 17
SEATTLE 16 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 2 10:30 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14