Lawson, Monarchs hold off StormJun 8, 2007 - 4:22 AM SACRAMENTO, California (Ticker) -- Kara Lawson scored 16 points and Chelsea Newton and Yolanda Griffith each scored 14 as the Sacramento Monarchs posted an 81-72 victory over the Seattle Storm.
Rebekkah Brunson had 13 points and 10 rebounds and Nicole Powell also added 13 and a career-high 10 boards for Sacramento, which has won three straight. The Monarchs have also won 12 in a row at ARCO Arena.
Lawson, who shot 5-of-7 and was perfect on all three of her 3-point attempts, scored eight of her total in the third period to help Sacramento take a 64-50 lead entering the final period.
Newton and Powell both shot 5-of-12 and Griffith was 8-of-8 from the free-throw line for the Monarchs, who shot 40 percent (27-of-68).
Sue Bird scored 21 points and Iziane Castro Marques added 12 and five assists for Seattle, which was playing without All-Star Lauren Jackson, who did not travel with the team due to an undisclosed illness.
Janell Burse scored 10 points for the Storm, who shot 47 percent, but have lost four straight and 11 of 13 here.
SACRAMENTO 81 FINAL
Jun 8 12:03 AM
SACRAMENTO 64 END, 3RD QTR
Jun 7 11:30 PM
SACRAMENTO 33 HALFTIME
Jun 7 10:53 PM
SACRAMENTO 16 END, 1ST QTR
Jun 7 10:25 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Former Seattle star Lauren Jackson announces retirement Mar 31
- Sue Bird signs multiyear deal with Seattle Storm Feb 16
- Seattle Storm re-sign Clark and O'Hea for 2016 season Feb 2