Young's career high leads Silver Stars past MercuryJul 11, 2007 - 11:22 PM PHOENIX (Ticker) -- Sophia Young scored a career-high 26 points and Becky Hammon had a big fourth quarter to lead the San Antonio Silver Stars to an 87-77 victory over the Phoenix Mercury on Wednesday.
Young was 11-of-18 from the field and added 12 rebounds for San Antonio (12-6), which has won four straight.
Making her return after missing three games with a sprained foot, Hammon came off the bench and scored 18 points. She scored 10 in the fourth quarter as the Silver Stars outscored the Mercury, 26-21.
Camille Little scored 12 points and Ruth Riley added 10 for San Antonio, which scored 21 off 15 turnovers by Phoenix.
Diana Taurasi scored 27 points and added nine rebounds, three assists and two blocks for the Mercury (11-9).
SAN ANTONIO 87
PHOENIX 77 FINAL
Jul 11 5:31 PM
SAN ANTONIO 61
PHOENIX 56 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 11 5:00 PM
SAN ANTONIO 40
PHOENIX 34 HALFTIME
Jul 11 4:23 PM
SAN ANTONIO 19
PHOENIX 22 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 11 3:57 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Phoenix Mercury bring back Penny Taylor Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6