Taylor outshines Jackson as Mercury beat StormJul 18, 2007 - 4:14 AM PHOENIX (Ticker) -- Penny Taylor scored a season-high 32 points and Diana Taurasi added 18 as the Phoenix Mercury posted an 89-79 triumph over the Seattle Storm on Tuesday night.
Taylor, who was played to her second All-Star game on Sunday, collected seven rebounds, six steals and three assists. She is averaging 24.8 points through her last nine games.
The Mercury pulled away in the third quarter behind a commanding 19-4 run capped by Taylor's 3-pointer that made it 64-45 at the 5:20 mark.
Seattle opened the game on fire, hitting 7-of-11 shots to create an early 19-6 advantage with 4:50 remaining in the first quarter.
However, Phoenix responded with an impressive 16-0 surge to take the lead for good, 22-19. Taylor netted nine points during the run.
Kelly Miller and Tangela Smith each scored 10 points for Phoenix, which shot 46 percent (34-of-73) from the field and improved to 9-3 against Western Conference opponents.
League-leading scorer Lauren Jackson had 33 points and 11 rebounds and Betty Lennox scored 22 for Seattle, which has lost three of its last four games.
WNBA SEATTLE 79
PHOENIX 89 FINAL
Jul 17 11:46 PM
PHOENIX 89 0:00 LEFT, 4TH QTR
Jul 17 11:46 PM
PHOENIX 73 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 17 11:09 PM
PHOENIX 45 HALFTIME
Jul 17 10:32 PM
PHOENIX 24 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 17 10:05 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14