Bird's 3-pointer lifts Storm past LibertyJul 22, 2007 - 10:22 PM NEW YORK (Ticker) -- Sue Bird was silent until it mattered most.
Bird made a 3-pointer - her only points of the game - with 10 seconds remaining, lifting the Seattle Storm to a 77-75 victory over the New York Liberty on Sunday.
Playing in her second game since returning from knee surgery, Bird had missed her first six shots before her shot from the arc erased a 75-74 deficit.
Bird's shot could not have come at a better time for the Storm, who squandered a nine-point lead with just over three minutes remaining.
Janel McCarville had made a layup to cap a 12-2 burst and give the Liberty a 75-74 lead with 30 seconds left.
Lauren Jackson finished with 23 points and 17 rebounds and Iziane Castro Marque had 23 points for Seattle, which stopped a three-game losing streak.
McCarville, Shameka Christon and Cathrine Kraayeveld all scored 16 points for the Liberty, who have lost a season-high four straight games.
WNBA SEATTLE 77
NEW YORK 75 FINAL
Jul 22 6:00 PM
NEW YORK 53 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 22 5:30 PM
NEW YORK 34 HALFTIME
Jul 22 4:52 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15