Smith, Taylor power Mercury past LynxJul 23, 2007 - 1:17 AM PHOENIX (Ticker) -- Tangela Smith stepped outside to send the Minnesota Lynx to their ninth straight loss.
Smith scored a a season-high 24 points to lead the Phoenix Mercury to a 106-93 victory over the Lynx at the U.S. Airways Center on Sunday.
A 21-percent 3-point shooter, Smith made 4-of-5 from beyond the arc to help the Mercury roll to their second win in three outings. Phoenix led by as much as 22 points before holding off Minnesota.
The Mercury (13-10) moved into a tie for second with Sacramento for second-place in the Western Conference, 2 1/2 games behind San Antonio.
Seimone Augustus had 23 points and Nicole Ohlde added 17 for Minnesota (5-19), which pulled within seven points with 4:12 left but got no closer.
Penny Taylor added 28 points - 19 in the second half - and nine rebounds for the Mercury.
Augustus had 14 points in the first half, making her first four shots to help Minnesota take an 18-11 lead in the first five minutes. But the Lynx went cold and committed 12 second-quarter turnovers.
Phoenix scored the last 10 points of the period to take a 53-38 halftime lead.
The Lynx had reason for hope against the Mercury, who have lost three times to teams entering the contest having lost at least seven in a row, including Minnesota, which had lost its first seven games before beating Phoenix on June 5.
PHOENIX 106 FINAL
Jul 22 8:56 PM
PHOENIX 53 HALFTIME
Jul 22 7:49 PM
PHOENIX 29 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 22 7:31 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Minnesota Lynx No. 1 in first AP WNBA power poll May 13
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Diana Taurasi back in WNBA, shoots for 4th Olympic gold May 9
- Champion Lynx begin season with 1 more mountain to climb May 8
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- WNBA hires Jay Parry as chief operating officer Apr 11
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22
- Lynx sign Czech guard Katerina Elhotova Feb 25