Shock beat Silver Stars in clash of WNBA's bestAug 1, 2007 - 2:56 AM SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- A potential WNBA Finals matchup didn't disappoint Tuesday night as Plenette Pierson scored a team-high 22 points to lead the Detroit Shock to an 84-79 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars.
With the game tied at 71-71 with 4.38 remaining in the fourth quarter, Detroit assistant coach Rick Mahorn was called for a technical foul.
Becky Hammon, who had a game high 26 points and six assists, hit the foul shot to give the Silver Stars the lead. On the ensuing possession, Katie Smith hit a 3-pointer to put the Shock up 74-72, a lead they would not relinquish.
The Silver Stars (16-9) rallied to within three points at 82-79 with 12 seconds to play. However, Hammon missed a contested 3-pointer to tie the game with 5 seconds remaining. Detroit grabbed the rebound, forcing San Antonio to foul Smith, who added two of her 21 points at the foul line to seal the victory.
Detroit clinched a playoff berth with the victory and has the best record in the WNBA at 21-6.
SAN ANTONIO 79 FINAL
Jul 31 10:01 PM
SAN ANTONIO 65 END, 3RD QTR
Jul 31 9:28 PM
SAN ANTONIO 44 HALFTIME
Jul 31 8:51 PM
SAN ANTONIO 22 END, 1ST QTR
Jul 31 8:22 PM
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6
- Dearica Hamby scores 15 points, Stars beat Storm 59-58 Sep 13
- Stars-Storm Preview Sep 12
- Odyssey Sims scores 27, Shock clinch West's third seed Sep 8
- Stars-Shock Preview Sep 7
- A week to go and the Eastern Conference is still tight Sep 7
- Brittney Griner scores 22 points, Mercury beat Stars 82-52 Sep 5
- Mercury-Stars Preview Sep 5