Nolan leads Shock to rout of StormAug 10, 2007 - 2:42 AM AUBURN HILLS, Michigan (Ticker) -- All-Star Deanna Nolan scored 18 points and handed out seven assists as the Detroit Shock routed the Seattle Storm, 97-70, on Thursday.
Reserve Kara Braxton scored 17 points and Katie Feenstra notched a double-double for the Shock (23-6), who took a commanding 13-2 run in the first quarter by sinking five straight field goals.
Nolan scored eight points in the run that gave Detroit an 11-point lead with 3:06 remaining in the period. Detroit never trailed after that, leading by as many as 29.
Led by Braxton, Detroit's bench scored 50 points, with Ivory Latta (14) and Plenette Pierson (12) contributing. Latta's total included 4-of-4 shooting from 3-point range.
Nolan shot 7-for-13 from the floor and sank 3-of-5 from the arc, and Feenstra finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Detroit led, 45-32, at halftime and scored 24 points off 15 turnovers by Seattle.
Iziane Castro Marques led all scorers with 24 points and Betty Lennox added 13 for the Storm, who shot just 23 percent from the field in the first half and just under 30 percent (22-of-74) overall.
Seattle (14-17) played without regulars Janell Burse (injured wrist) and All-Star Lauren Jackson, who is with her ailing grandmother in her native Australia. Jackson leads the league in scoring, averaging 23.8 points.
Pierson left the game in the fourth quarter with a right ankle injury, but Shock coach Bill Laimbeer believes she will play Saturday against Indiana.
DETROIT 97 FINAL
Aug 9 9:32 PM
DETROIT 76 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 9 9:06 PM
DETROIT 45 HALFTIME
Aug 9 8:29 PM
DETROIT 25 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 9 7:58 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 22
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- Breanna Stewart at center of the Storm as latest No. 1 pick Apr 21
- Breanna Stewart top pick in WNBA, leading 1-2-3 UConn sweep Apr 15
- UConn forward Breanna Stewart selected No. 1 overall by Seattle Storm in WNBA draft Apr 14
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Former Seattle star Lauren Jackson announces retirement Mar 31
- Sue Bird signs multiyear deal with Seattle Storm Feb 16
- Seattle Storm re-sign Clark and O'Hea for 2016 season Feb 2