Sales lifts Sun past FeverAug 16, 2007 - 1:16 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Nykesha Sales scored a career-high 32 points and the Connecticut Sun survived a stirring comeback to post a 77-74 victory over the Indiana Fever.
The Sun (18-14), who led by 14 points with five minutes to play, pulled within a game of the Fever for second in the Eastern Conference standings.
Both teams have two games remaining and the Sun will claim the No. 2 seed if they finished tied by virtue of sweeping the four-game season series vs. the Fever.
Sales finished 13-of-22, including 4-of-8 from 3-point range. She had a personal 7-0 run bridging the third and fourth quarters to give Connecticut a 63-57 lead.
The Sun seemingly put the game away when reserves Evanthia Maltsi and Jamie Carey hit back-to-back 3-points for a 75-61 cushion with 5:18 to play.
But Anna DeForge sparked a 13-0 run, hitting three 3-pointers, to whittle the deficit to 75-74 with 1:10 left.
Lindsay Whalen answered with a mid-range jumper for the Sun and Le'Coe Willingham sealed it by blocking LeForge's last-second 3-pointer.
LeForge scored a season-high 29 points, hitting 5-of-9 from the arc.
INDIANA 74 FINAL
Aug 15 8:58 PM
INDIANA 57 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 15 8:29 PM
INDIANA 38 HALFTIME
Aug 15 7:49 PM
INDIANA 24 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 15 7:27 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8