Liberty ride big first quarter to victory over SunAug 18, 2007 - 4:01 AM NEW YORK (Ticker) -- Janel McCarville and Erin Thorn led a game-opening charge and the New York Liberty maintained control the rest of the way, cruising to a 74-66 victory over the Connecticut Sun on Friday.
McCarville and Thorn combined to score the game's first 14 points as the Liberty (15-18) opened a 23-18 lead after one quarter. McCarville hit a jumper and made a pair of layups, while Thorn sank two 3-pointers before capping the early spurt with a bank shot.
Cathrine Kraayeveld scored 18 points, Thorn added 13 and McCarville 12 for the Liberty, who shot 47 percent (26-of-55).
Shameka Christon had 11 points and eight rebounds and Tiffany Jackson pulled down eight boards for New York, which climbed into a tie with Washington (15-18) for the fourth and final playoff berth in the Eastern Conference. The Liberty host the Chicago Sky in Sunday's season finale, while the Mystics visit the Sun.
Katie Douglas scored 22 points and Lindsay Whalen chipped in 19 for Connecticut (18-15), which will meet second-place Indiana in the first round of the playoffs.
NEW YORK 74 FINAL
Aug 17 9:26 PM
NEW YORK 57 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 17 8:56 PM
NEW YORK 36 HALFTIME
Aug 17 8:18 PM
NEW YORK 23 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 17 7:54 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 21
- WNBA Capsules May 15
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- Vandersloot, Pondexter help Sky cruise to 93-70 win over Sun May 14
- NY Liberty acquire Wings' Amanda Zahui B for draft pick May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Minnesota Lynx re-sign ex-Gopher center Janel McCarville May 7
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Liberty trade for All-Star guard Shoni Schimmel May 2
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Candice Wiggins retires from WNBA at age 29 Mar 22