Whitmore comes through late as Fever beat Silver StarsAug 18, 2007 - 4:02 AM SAN ANTONIO (Ticker) -- Tamika Whitmore scored 12 points, including a pair of late shots to help the Indiana Fever eke out a 59-55 victory over the San Antonio Silver Stars on Friday.
Whitmore was the only player in double figures for Indiana (20-13), which clinched the Eastern Conference's No. 2 seed with the win.
In a back-and-forth game, Whitmore hit a jumper to put the Fever up, 45-44, with 6:38 left in the fourth quarter. Tully Bevilaqua hit consecutive shots from the arc to extend the advantage to 51-44 with 5:03 remaining.
Camille Little converted a three-point play to pull the Silvers Stars within 55-53 with 1:04 to go, but Whitmore answered with a 14-foot jumper and a layup to seal the victory.
Sophia Young scored 12 points for San Antonio (20-13), which scored a season-low 26 points in the first half.
SAN ANTONIO 55 FINAL
Aug 17 10:04 PM
SAN ANTONIO 37 END, 3RD QTR
Aug 17 9:34 PM
SAN ANTONIO 26 HALFTIME
Aug 17 8:55 PM
SAN ANTONIO 16 END, 1ST QTR
Aug 17 8:29 PM
- WNBA Capsules May 18
- Bye bye Birdie? Storm's Sue Bird not ready to walk away yet May 18
- WNBA Capsules May 14
- WNBA set to tip off 20th season this weekend May 13
- WNBA's Dan Hughes enters last season as San Antonio coach May 13
- Fever's Catchings cherishing every moment of farewell tour May 11
- Indiana trades Layshia Clarendon to Atlanta for draft pick May 10
- Army star Kelsey Minato gets a chance to play in WNBA May 7
- Taurasi, Catchings, Bird headline US women's Olympic team Apr 27
- UConn trio look to make history at WNBA draft Apr 14
- Fever sign Pohlen, Wheeler to training camp deals Feb 8
- WNBA star Tamika Catchings interns at NBA offices Feb 6