Diamondbacks down AstrosJul 21, 2012 - 6:04 AM
Stephen Drew drove in three, Miguel Montero went 2-for-5 with a pair of RBI and a run scored while Aaron Hill had three hits and two runs scored for the Diamondbacks, who had lost five of seven coming in. Trevor Cahill (8-8) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits over 5 1/3 innings to get the win.
"I felt like I was making some good pitches tonight and putting them where I wanted them," said Cahill. "It helps to relax you out there when the guys put up the runs like they did tonight."
Scott Moore hit a three-run homer while Carlos Corporan hit his first career home run and drove in two for the Astros, who have lost four straight and eight of nine. Bud Norris (5-8) lost his seventh straight start as he was torched for nine runs on six hits with five walks and seven strikeouts over 4 1/3 innings.
"I don't know what to say," said Norris, "it wasn't pretty...out there grinding and battling and trying to make pitches."
The Astros took the initial lead of the game in the first inning as Marwin Gonzalez doubled home Jordan Schafer and later came home on a J.D. Martinez groundout for a 2-0 lead.
Arizona got a run back in the bottom of the first when Drew doubled home Gerardo Parra, who led off with a walk and moved to second on a bad pickoff throw from Norris.
The Diamondbacks went up for good in the third. With one out and men on second and third, Jason Kubel tied the game on a groundout that scored Drew and Upton followed with a first-pitch shot over the bullpen in right field for his eighth homer of the year and a 4-2 lead.
In the fifth, Arizona padded its lead. With the bases loaded, Upton walked to force in a run and Montero hit a two-run single to spell the end of Norris' game.
Enerio Del Rosario then took the mound and Paul Goldschmidt greeted him with an RBI double. Cahill later drove in the first run of his career with a single to make it a 9-2 game.
A fielding error by Ryan Wheeler in the sixth off a Brian Bixler grounder scored Brian Bogusevic and Corporan followed with a run-scoring double to get the Astros within five, 9-4.
Arizona continued to pound the Astros in the seventh as Ryan Roberts hit a run-scoring single, a fielder's choice by Parra scored another and Drew followed with a two-run single for a 13-4 lead.
Corporan hit the first home run of his career in the eighth while Moore's three-run homer in the ninth accounted for the final score.
Hill extended his hitting streak to 11 games...Arizona has taken seven of the eight games with Houston this season...Arizona batted 10-for-21 with runners in scoring position while Houston went just 3-for-15 and stranded eight...Norris came into the game with a 10.91 earned run average against Arizona and is now 0-4 in five career starts against the D'Backs.
- HOUSTON: 8
Jul 21 1:21 AM
- Scott Moore two-out, three-run Home Run (4) to right scored Marwin Gonzalez and J.D. Martinez. Brian Bixler due up.
Astros 8, Diamondbacks 13 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 21 1:19 AM
- Ben Francisco is pinch-hitting for Wesley Wright.
Astros 5, Diamondbacks 13 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 21 12:58 AM
- Stephen Drew singled to right scoring Ryan Wheeler and Ryan Roberts with one out. On the play, Gerardo Parra advances to third. Runners on first and third and Aaron Hill due up.
Astros 4, Diamondbacks 13 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 21 12:46 AM
- Gerardo Parra reaches on a fielder's choice force attempt scoring Paul Goldschmidt with one out. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to second and Ryan Wheeler advances to third. Bases loaded and Stephen Drew due up.
Astros 4, Diamondbacks 11 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 21 12:46 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Roberts singled to left scoring Miguel Montero with one out. On the play, Ryan Wheeler advances to second and Paul Goldschmidt advances to third. Bases loaded and Gerardo Parra due up.
Astros 4, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 21 12:40 AM
- Carlos Corporan doubled to center scoring Brian Bixler with one out. Runner on second and Enerio Del Rosario due up.
Astros 4, Diamondbacks 9 Top 6, 1 OutJul 20 11:58 PM
- Trevor Cahill singled to center scoring Paul Goldschmidt with two out. On the play, Ryan Wheeler thrown out at home, center to catcher, to end the inning.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 9 End 5Jul 20 11:46 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt doubled to left scoring Justin Upton with one out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ryan Wheeler due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 20 11:42 PM
- Enerio Del Rosario enters the game for the Astros with runners on first and third and one out.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 20 11:39 PM
- Justin Upton walked scoring Gerardo Parra with one out. Bases loaded and Miguel Montero due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 20 11:34 PM
- Justin Upton two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Aaron Hill. Miguel Montero due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 20 10:49 PM
- Jason Kubel grounded out second to first scoring Stephen Drew with two out. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to third. Runner on third and Justin Upton due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 20 10:47 PM
- Stephen Drew doubled to right scoring Gerardo Parra with none out. Runner on second and Aaron Hill due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 20 9:58 PM
- J.D. Martinez grounded into a double play, short to second to first, scoring Marwin Gonzalez with two out. Matt Downs out at second. None on with two outs and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 20 9:50 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez doubled to right scoring Jordan Schafer with none out. Runner on second and Matt Downs due up.
Astros 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 20 9:44 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 9:40 PM
- Diamondbacks starter Cahill leaves 6:43p
- Ross powers D'backs past Marlins 6:32p
- Astros strike deal with No. 1 pick Appel 2:19p
- Lohse aims to get on track in Houston 2:13p
- D'backs, Marlins to play rubber match at Chase Field 2:10p
- Dominguez's slam leads Astros to rout of Brewers 3:44a
- Goldschmidt's HR leads D'backs over Marlins 3:40a
- D'backs recall Delgado for Tuesday start Tue
- Astros reinstate Maxwell from DL Tue
- Diamondbacks try to halt slide vs. Marlins Tue
- Old rivals square off in Houston Tue
- Stanton and Marlins down D'backs Tue