Guzman powers Padres past DiamondbacksSep 20, 2012 - 11:18 PM
Logan Forsythe, Chris Denorfia and Chase Headley added an RBI apiece for the Padres, who had 11 hits.
Clayton Richard (14-12) gave up four runs on eight hits over six innings to win his fifth consecutive decision. He is a brilliant 6-0 lifetime versus the Diamondbacks.
Adam Eaton and Aaron Hill hit solo homers for Arizona, which sits 5 1/2 games behind St. Louis for the second wild card berth in the National League. The Cardinals beat the Astros on Thursday.
Tyler Skaggs (1-3) allowed four runs on seven hits over five innings. He walked three and struck out two.
The Padres put a three-spot on the board in the first inning. With two outs, Headley walked and Yasmani Grandal singled. Guzman followed with a homer to left field to make it 3-0.
"He (Skaggs) gets an 0-2 count on Guzman. He tries to waste a fastball, throws it right where he doesn't want it. That is a live and learn deal," D'backs manager Kirk Gibson said.
Hill's solo homer to left in the bottom half cut the gap to two.
San Diego tacked on another run in the second. Richard reached base on a fielder's choice and raced home on Forsythe's double to left-center field.
But Arizona got the run back in the fourth after Justin Upton doubled and scored on Chris Johnson's two-out single.
Each team scored a pair of runs in the sixth. Andy Parrino got the top half started with a single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and crossed the plate on Denorfia's double to right. Headley's RBI double to left field gave San Diego a 6-2 lead.
Upton hit a one-out triple in the bottom half and scored on Paul Goldschmidt's single. Goldschmidt advanced to second on a wild pitch and raced home on Johnson's single to left, making it a 6-4 contest.
Eaton's first career homer in the seventh cut the gap to one.
Arizona had a golden opportunity to win the game in the ninth. Johnson singled to left, pinch-hitter Ryan Wheeler reached base on second baseman Forsythe's error and pinch-hitter Jason Kubel walked to load the bases with no outs. But the home team failed to capitalize. Pinch-hitter Mike Jacobs popped out, Eaton grounded into a fielder's choice and Hill struck out swinging.
"This is one of those where if you would have told us or the Diamondbacks that it would come down to five pitchers in the ninth (inning) and in a one-run game and still end up winning you would say you were crazy, but baseball is a funny game that way," Padres manager Bud Black said.
San Diego went 11-7 against Arizona this season ... Anthony Bass, who was the fifth San Diego pitcher in the ninth, recorded the final out to pick up his first save in the big leagues.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
Sep 20 6:32 PM
- Adam Eaton two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Aaron Hill due up.
Padres 6, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 20 5:45 PM
- Cody Ransom grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Padres 6, Diamondbacks 4 End 6Sep 20 5:29 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to right scored Justin Upton with none out. Runner on first and Miguel Montero due up.
Padres 6, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 20 5:22 PM
- Chase Headley double to left scored Chris Denorfia with two out. Runner on second and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 6, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 20 5:15 PM
- Chris Denorfia double to right scored Andy Parrino with one out. Runner on second and Logan Forsythe due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 20 5:11 PM
- Chris Johnson single to left scored Justin Upton with two out. Runner on first and Cody Ransom due up.
Padres 4, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 20 4:46 PM
- Logan Forsythe double to center scored Clayton Richard with two out. Runner on second and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 4, Diamondbacks 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 20 4:08 PM
- Aaron Hill one-out, solo Home Run (23) to left. Justin Upton due up.
Padres 3, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 20 3:58 PM
- Jesus Guzman two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Chase Headley and Yasmani Grandal. Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 20 3:51 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 20 3:42 PM
- Braves add veteran pitcher Bud Norris to young rotation Wed
- Diamondbacks name Magadan hitting coach Wed
- Pirates get right-hander Webster from Arizona for cash Wed
- Bud Black rejoins LA Angels in front-office job Tue
- Tigres del Licey beats Navegantes de Magallanes 4-2 Sun
- Diamondbacks add 3 prospects to 40-man roster Nov 20
- NL's Harper youngest unanimous MVP; Donaldson earns AL honor Nov 19
- Phillies add Hellickson in swap of pitchers with Arizona Nov 14
- Ivy in MLB more than Wrigley walls as teams hire brainy GMs Nov 14
- Rasmus, Wieters, Anderson accept qualifying offers Nov 14
- Boston gets closer Kimbrel from Padres for 4 prospects Nov 14
- A's hire Mark Kotsay as bench coach on Bob Melvin's staff Nov 12