D'Backs slip past Rockies to keep in playoff chaseSep 23, 2012 - 5:09 AM
Jason Kubel had two hits and drove in a pair and Chris Johnson had an RBI for the D'backs, who trail the St. Louis Cardinals by 4 1/2 games for the final NL wild card spot.
"We still got a little time left," Kubel said. "If we keep this up, we can make things interesting and hopefully put more pressure on the teams in front of us."
Brad Bergensen (2-0) got the win after tossing two scoreless innings and J.J. Putz picked up his 31st save with a perfect ninth.
Jordan Pacheco went 3-for-4 with two RBI and Wilin Rosario added three hits, including a solo homer run, for the Rockies, who have dropped eight straight.
Carlos Torres (4-3) was tagged with the loss after giving up five runs on three hits and three walks over one-plus innings. Jhoulys Chacin started for Colorado and gave up three runs on seven hits over four innings.
Arizona wasted no time and scored three in the first. Adam Eaton opened the game with a leadoff triple then scored on Pacheco's ground out. Justin Upton followed with a double before Paul Goldschmidt smacked a double of his own into right-center field to score Upton. Kubel knocked in Goldschmidt with a base hit to left-center.
The Rockies plated four runs in the second to take the lead. Andrew Brown opened the frame with a solo shot to left field. DJ LeMahieu tripled then scored on Chacin's base hit.
Dexter Fowler's bunt single moved Chacin to second and Josh Rutledge pushed the pitcher to third with a ground out. Pacheco followed with a double to plate Chacin and Rutledge.
Rosario's solo blast in the third made it 5-3 Colorado.
The D'backs scored five in the sixth inning to take the lead for good. Hill smoked a triple to right-center field with the bases loaded.
Back-to-back walks to Upton and Miguel Montero loaded the bases once again, and Kubel delivered a sacrifice fly to score Hill. Johnson's RBI single capped the scoring for the inning.
"The base on balls really hurt," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of the sixth inning. "We set the stage for them and reset the stage for them."
The Rockies would add one run in both the sixth and seventh innings, but it would be as close as they would get.
Matt McBride's pinch-hit single in the sixth scored Tyler Colvin and Rutledge scored when Rosario grounded into a double play in the seventh.
Putz worked a perfect ninth to seal the win.
Patrick Corbin started for the D'backs and allowed five runs on nine hits over three innings ... Arizona won for just the 14th time this season when its starting pitcher fails to go at least six innings ... The Rockies are 5-16 in September.
- ARIZONA: 8
Sep 22 11:35 PM
- Wilin Rosario grounded into a double play, third to second to first scoring Josh Rutledge with two out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco out at second. None on and Chris Nelson due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Rockies 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 22 10:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt McBride singled to center scoring Tyler Colvin with two out. Runner on first and Dexter Fowler due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Rockies 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 22 10:36 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to right scoring Justin Upton with two out. On the play, Miguel Montero advances to third. Runners on first and third and John McDonald due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Rockies 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 22 10:24 PM
- Jason Kubel sacrifice fly out to center scored Aaron Hill with two out. On the play, Justin Upton advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Johnson due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Rockies 5 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 22 10:22 PM
- Aaron Hill tripled to right center scoring John McDonald, Mike Jacobs and Adam Eaton with none out. Runner on third and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 5 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 22 10:08 PM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (26) to left. Chris Nelson due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 22 9:17 PM
- Miguel Montero struck out looking. None on with one out and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 4 Top 3, 1 OutSep 22 9:06 PM
- Dexter Fowler bunt singled to first. On the play, Jhoulys Chacin advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Josh Rutledge due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 22 8:56 PM
- Andrew Brown lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Tyler Colvin due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 22 8:52 PM
- Chris Johnson flied out to right to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 0 Mid 1Sep 22 8:22 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt doubled to right scoring Justin Upton with two out. Runner on second and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 22 8:19 PM
- Aaron Hill grounded out short to first scoring Adam Eaton with one out. None on and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 22 8:14 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 8:12 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch in win over Rockies May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21