Johnson's gem helps Marlins snap 5-game slideJul 24, 2012 - 4:45 AM
Johnson (6-7) allowed just one hit and fanned nine to collect the win before leaving the game for precautionary reasons due to irritation on his right middle finger.
Mike Dunn, Edward Mujica and Randy Choate navigated through the seventh and the eighth and Steve Cishek allowed a run in the ninth, but closed it out to record his third save of the season.
Carlos Lee ripped an RBI single and Emilio Bonifacio cracked a solo home run in the victory for the Marlins, who were active in the trade market prior to the game.
Hours before Monday's first pitch, the Marlins acquired top pitching prospect Jacob Turner from the Detroit Tigers in exchange for second baseman Omar Infante and pitcher Anibal Sanchez.
"We lost a couple of guys we thought were going to be players to the end," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said. "Unfortunately, we're not playing well enough to keep those guys."
Chipper Jones knocked in Atlanta's lone run and Mike Minor (5-7) pitched well in the team's third straight loss, allowing two runs on six hits and no walks with four strikeouts over seven innings.
Miami struck first in its first at-bat. Jose Reyes and Donovan Solano stroked back-to-back singles to start the frame and Lee blooped a ball into no-man's land between shortstop and left field to score Reyes.
"I felt ok, just the first inning was a little rough," Minor said. "I made some pitches and they kind of snuck in there for some hits."
The Marlins extended their lead to 2-0 in the second when Bonifacio led off the frame by blasting a fastball from Minor over the wall in left.
Michael Bourn singled off Choate to begin the ninth and Martin Prado followed with base hit against Cishek to put two runners on. Cishek then got Jason Heyward to ground into a double play before Jones slapped a single to right, plating Bourn. Freddie Freeman skied one out to shallow center and Scott Cousins made a terrific over-the-shoulder catch to end the game.
Johnson is expected to make his next start...The Marlins also acquired catcher Rob Brantly and pitcher Brian Flynn and a compensatory pick in the trade. The teams also agreed to swap 2013 Competitive Balance draft selections...In 46 career games against the Braves, Lee has a .316 average...Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez was ejected in the ninth inning by first base umpire Laz Diaz..Bonifacio's home run was his first since Sept. 25, 2011 against Milwaukee...Prior to the game, the Braves recalled outfielder Jose Constanza from Triple-A Gwinnett and optioned pitcher Anthony Varvaro to the farm club.
- ATLANTA: 1
Jul 23 9:44 PM
- Chipper Jones singled to right scored Michael Bourn. Runner on first with two outs and Freddie Freeman due up.
Braves 1, Marlins 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 23 9:41 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Austin Kearns due up.
Braves 0, Marlins 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 23 7:38 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to left scored Jose Reyes. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Braves 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 23 7:23 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 7:11 PM
- Braves hope to stay hot on road as they visit Mets 10:47a
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins 10:23a
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Braves hammer Twins to complete series sweep Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed
- Braves eye sweep of Twins in matinee affair Wed
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins Wed
- Braves rally past Twins to extend streak Wed
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta Tue
- Phils take swings against young Fernandez Tue
- Ruggiano helps Marlins down Phillies Tue
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins Tue