Braves edge Marlins to snap skidJul 25, 2012 - 3:41 AM
Hudson (9-4) struggled at the outset, but he retired 16 straight to end his seven-inning outing. The veteran gave up three runs on five hits with two strikeouts and one walk to improve to 13-4 lifetime against the Marlins. Craig Kimbrel finished the game off for his 29th save of the season.
"I was able to settle down and get some quicker outs and guys behind me made some really great plays," said Hudson.
Seven different Braves recorded the team's seven hits, while Martin Prado and Freddie Freeman also drove in runs. Atlanta snapped a three-game losing streak.
Wade LeBlanc (1-1) was saddled with the loss, giving up one run on two hits with a walk in 1 2/3 frames. Jose Reyes hit a two-run home run for Miami, which has dropped six of seven overall. Mark Buehrle toed the rubber for the first five innings, giving up three runs -- two earned -- on five hits with four strikeouts and four walks.
Atlanta took advantage of some sloppy defense in the first thanks to a Hanley Ramirez fielding error, which allowed Michael Bourn to reach third and Prado to land safely at first. Bourn, who walked to start the game, then came home on Heyward's sacrifice fly to center.
Ramirez got retribution in the home half, driving in Greg Dobbs with a two-out single to center. Miami then went in front with a pair of runs in the second, which began with Emilio Bonifacio's infield single. He was erased when Buehrle bunted into a force out. It didn't matter much as Reyes followed with a line drive that hugged the right-field line and found the seats inside the pole for his sixth home run of the season.
The Braves chipped away at the lead and squared the contest with single tallies in the third and fourth frames. Freeman's bases loaded walk plated Hudson in the third, and Prado's sacrifice fly allowed Paul Janish to score the tying run in the fourth. Buehrle's walk to Freeman was the first time he walked in a run since May 7, 2010 against Toronto.
"Walking four guys isn't me. I hate walking guys as it is," said Buehrle. "Bases loaded walk to bring in a run is kind of embarrassing."
Atlanta finally took the lead in the seventh as Prado's drive to right-center alluded the outstretched glove of Dobbs and rolled near the base of the wall as the Braves infielder dove into third with a triple. He came home moments later on Heyward's single to right.
The rally was possible thanks to Hudson, who kept the ball down and mowed down the 16 straight Marlins after Reyes' homer in the second.
This was Miami's first game since trading second baseman Omar Infante and pitcher Anibal Sanchez to Detroit...Ramirez's error was his ninth of the season...Atlanta has won five of seven meetings this season...Buehrle hadn't walked more than two batters in any of his previous 19 starts...Hudson induced 13 groundouts, including 11 of his final 16 outs in a row.
- ATLANTA: 4
Jul 24 9:47 PM
- Freddie Freeman walked. Runner on first with two outs and Dan Uggla due up.
Braves 4, Marlins 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 24 9:02 PM
- Jason Heyward walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Chipper Jones due up.
Braves 3, Marlins 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 24 8:21 PM
- Carlos Lee popped out to second. None on with one out and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Braves 2, Marlins 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 24 8:04 PM
- Jose Reyes two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Mark Buehrle. Greg Dobbs due up.
Braves 1, Marlins 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 24 7:46 PM
- Dan Uggla struck out swinging. None on with one out and David Ross due up.
Braves 1, Marlins 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 24 7:34 PM
- Chipper Jones flied out to center. Runner on first with two outs and Freddie Freeman due up.
Braves 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 24 7:18 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 7:12 PM
- Keppinger, White Sox beat Marlins in extras 12:19a
- Braves hope to stay hot on road as they visit Mets 10:47a
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins 10:23a
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Braves hammer Twins to complete series sweep Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed
- Braves eye sweep of Twins in matinee affair Wed
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins Wed
- Braves rally past Twins to extend streak Wed
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta Tue
- Phils take swings against young Fernandez Tue
- Ruggiano helps Marlins down Phillies Tue