Braves use late surge to beat PhilliesAug 9, 2012 - 4:37 AM
Uggla went 3-for-4 with two runs scored while Michael Bourn was 3-for-5 with a two-run home run, three RBI and two runs scored for the Braves, who took the front and back end of this series.
"It's been a constant grind this season," said Uggla. "I've been lucky my teammates have picked me up and tonight was my turn to pick them up. This is a confidence booster and it will help me relax more."
Tim Hudson didn't get out of the fifth as he was pounded for six runs on six hits with three walks and four strikeouts. Chad Durbin (4-1) got the win for pitching a perfect sixth inning.
Ryan Howard hit a three-run home run while Jimmy Rollins added a solo homer, two RBI and two runs scored for the Phillies, who had won three of four coming into the game.
Kyle Kendrick was torched for six runs on seven hits over just 3 1/3 innings. Antonio Bastardo (2-4) was handed the loss for giving up three runs in the seventh.
"They had a good approach but I wasn't throwing strikes at all," said Kendrick. "I couldn't get ahead and threw too many pitches. Just a bad night all around."
The Phillies got the first run of the game when Rollins smoked the first pitch he saw over the right field wall for a 1-0 lead in the first inning, but the Braves answered in the second.
Freddie Freeman walked with one out and Uggla singled. A wild pitch moved both runners up a base and David Ross' groundout tied the game. After Paul Janish walked, Hudson helped his cause with a two-run double and came home two batters later on a Martin Prado single for a 4-1 lead.
Bourn made it a 6-1 game in the fourth when he smacked a homer with Janish on base -- his ninth of the season.
The Phillies rallied in the fifth inning. Kevin Frandsen singled to start the inning and came home when Rollins doubled to the corner in right. Domonic Brown then doubled in Rollins and Chase Utley was hit by a pitch. Howard then sent a 2-2 pitch over the wall in left-center to tie the game. Bourn made a nice catch on an Erik Kratz fly ball to center with a man on base to end the inning.
Atlanta, though, went back up in the seventh with a big, two-out rally. Jason Heyward doubled to keep the inning alive and Chipper Jones was intentionally walked. A walk to Freeman prompted a pitching change as Josh Lindblom entered, but Uggla cleared the bases with a double down the third base line. David Ross then hit a grounder to third that Frandsen fielded on the run, but his throw to first was off and Uggla came home to make it a 10-6 game.
Atlanta plated two more in the eighth on an RBI double from Bourn and a Freeman groundout that scored Bourn for a 12-6 lead.
Philly left two men on base in the eighth and was retired in order in the ninth inning.
It was the 40th leadoff homer of Rollins' career...Howard's home run was his 500th extra-base hit...Atlanta has taken nine of 12 this season from Philadelphia...Both teams have Thursday off and will open sets on Friday. Atlanta plays in New York while Philadelphia hosts St. Louis.
- ATLANTA: 12
Aug 8 10:22 PM
- Freddie Freeman grounded out pitcher to first scored Michael Bourn. On the play, Chipper Jones advances to second and Martin Prado advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Dan Uggla due up.
Braves 12, Phillies 6 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 8 9:54 PM
- Michael Bourn doubled to left center scored Tyler Pastornicky. Runner on second with none out and Martin Prado due up.
Braves 11, Phillies 6 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 8 9:44 PM
- David Ross reached first on Kevin Frandsen's fielding error scored Dan Uggla. Runner on first with two outs and Paul Janish due up.
Braves 10, Phillies 6 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 8 9:31 PM
- Dan Uggla doubled to left scored Jason Heyward, Chipper Jones and Freddie Freeman. Runner on second with two outs and David Ross due up.
Braves 9, Phillies 6 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 8 9:30 PM
- Ryan Howard one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left center scored Domonic Brown and Chase Utley. John Mayberry due up.
Braves 6, Phillies 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 8 8:49 PM
- Domonic Brown doubled to right center scored Jimmy Rollins. Runner on second with one out and Chase Utley due up.
Braves 6, Phillies 3 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 8 8:44 PM
- Jimmy Rollins doubled to right scored Kevin Frandsen. Runner on second with one out and Domonic Brown due up.
Braves 6, Phillies 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 8 8:42 PM
- Michael Bourn one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right center scored Paul Janish. Martin Prado due up.
Braves 6, Phillies 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 8 8:09 PM
- Martin Prado singled to right scored Tim Hudson. On the play, Michael Bourn advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jason Heyward due up.
Braves 4, Phillies 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 8 7:45 PM
- Tim Hudson doubled to center scored Dan Uggla and Paul Janish. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Bourn due up.
Braves 3, Phillies 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 8 7:38 PM
- David Ross grounded out short to first scored Freddie Freeman. On the play, Dan Uggla advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Paul Janish due up.
Braves 1, Phillies 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 8 7:34 PM
- Jimmy Rollins lead-off Home Run (13) to right. Domonic Brown due up.
Braves 0, Phillies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 8 7:15 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 7:07 PM
- Braves hand Mets' Marcum another loss 11:07p
- Desmond's slam in 11th lifts Nats over Phils 10:56p
- Phils hope to break the brooms out on Nats 2:12p
- Mets shoot for another win against Braves 2:11p
- Wheeler wins MLB debut as Mets take two from Braves Wed
- Lee keeps rolling as Phillies best Nats Tue
- Harvey fans 13 as Mets hold off Braves Tue
- Phillies activate C Ruiz Tue
- Wheeler debuts for Mets in doubleheader against Braves Tue
- Braves place Gattis on DL Tue
- Nats try to bounce back versus Lee Tue
- Freeman's HR in ninth ends late night in Atlanta Tue