Zito thrives on mound, Giants top BravesAug 24, 2012 - 6:03 AM
Zito (10-8) allowed five hits, walked three, struck out five and left after allowing a pair of singles to begin the ninth. The 34-year-old lefty improved to 5-1 lifetime against Atlanta.
Hector Sanchez went 2-for-4 and hit a two-run double for the Giants, who were coming off a sweep of the Los Angeles Dodgers. They now lead their NL West rivals by three games.
Tommy Hanson (12-6) took the loss in his second start since returning from the 15-day disabled list. He was charged with five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and three walks over 4 1/3 innings.
Zito was charged with two runs after Freddie Freeman plated Martin Prado and Chipper Jones with a double off of reliever Jeremy Affeldt.
Dan Uggla followed with a walk before Javier Lopez struck out Brian McCann. Sergio Romo then ended the threat and secured his sixth save of the season by inducing a pair of groundouts.
"When you do it by committee that's the way it goes," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "We have four really good guys we're comfortable with to go out there to finish off a game."
The Giants took a 1-0 lead in the third when Angel Pagan walked, stole second and slid into home with two down on Pablo Sandoval's sinking liner to left.
Pagan scored again in the fifth when he worked a leadoff walk, moved up on Marco Scutaro's base hit and crossed the plate when Hunter Pence placed a bunt single past Hanson to the right side of the infield.
Scutaro came home when Freeman couldn't handle Brandon Belt's grounder toward first base and Sanchez followed with a double down the right-field line to cap the frame.
"What a job he's done since he's assumed the leadoff spot," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of Pagan. "He's really picked up his game since he's gone to the leadoff spot. He's playing as good ball as anybody."
The Braves, who are tied with the St. Louis Cardinals for the lead in the NL Wild Card race, have lost five of their last six games.
"The good thing is we came back and they used (three) guys there in the ninth inning so we got into their bullpen a little bit," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said.
The Giants have won each of Zito's last four appearances ... Zito held the Braves scoreless over seven innings in a July 17 victory ... Hanson suffered his first loss since July 2 ... Atlanta went 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- ATLANTA: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Aug 24 1:20 AM
- Freddie Freeman doubled to center scored Martin Prado and Chipper Jones. Runner on second with none out and Dan Uggla due up.
Braves 2, Giants 5 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 24 12:55 AM
- Hector Sanchez doubled to right scored Hunter Pence and Brandon Belt. Runner on second with one out and Gregor Blanco due up.
Braves 0, Giants 5 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 24 12:00 AM
- Brandon Belt reached first on Freddie Freeman's fielding error scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Hector Sanchez due up.
Braves 0, Giants 3 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 23 11:58 PM
- Hunter Pence bunt singled to second scored Angel Pagan. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brandon Belt due up.
Braves 0, Giants 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 23 11:54 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to left scored Angel Pagan. Runner on first with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Braves 0, Giants 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 23 11:18 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 10:16 PM
- Giants officially re-sign Vogelsong Wed
- Venters, Pena agree to terms with Braves Mon
- Giants to re-sign Vogelsong Nov 29
- Giants re-sign LHP Lopez to 3-year deal Nov 26
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 19
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 18
- Braves leaving Turner Field after 2016 Nov 11
- Braves give McCann qualifying offer Nov 4
- Torre, La Russa, Cox among Hall Expansion Era eligibles Nov 4
- Giants decline option on Barry Zito Nov 2
- Giants make it official with Lincecum Oct 25
- Giants, Lincecum agree on 2-year deal Oct 22