Brewers finish 3-game sweep of BravesSep 13, 2012 - 4:33 AM
Travis Ishikawa hit a three-run double in the big inning for the Brewers, who have won five of six to move three games back of St. Louis for the final wild card spot in the National League.
"I thought even when we were playing under .500 that we had the personnel to get over and get back in the chase," said Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke. "At our lowest point, I still thought we had it in us, but I still had some doubts that we would get back in it. But a lot of the young guys we've called up have performed well."
Yovani Gallardo (15-8) won his seventh straight decision as he gave up just two runs on four hits with three walks and six strikeouts over seven innings of work.
Paul Maholm (12-10) was torched for eight runs -- six earned -- on nine hits in just 4 1/3 innings. Jason Heyward hit a solo homer run in the loss for the Braves, who came into this set having won five straight.
Milwaukee put a man on base in each of the first four innings, but were unable to get any home. That changed in the fifth.
Jeff Bianchi reached base to start the inning on a Chipper Jones error and moved to second on a Yovani Gallardo sacrifice bunt. Norichika Aoki then singled and Weeks gave his team the lead with a blast over the right-center field wall.
That wasn't the end of it, though, as Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez both singled, and Jonathan Lucroy followed with a single to score Braun. After Logan Schafer walked to load the bases, Ishikawa doubled to the gap in right- center field to clear the bases. Gallardo doubled two batters later to make it an 8-2 game.
"They hit two balls really hard there and that did me in," said Maholm. "But, if you give a hot team extra outs, they're going to make you pay. That inning just went their way, the entire way. We just have to shake this off."
Atlanta was retired in order in the sixth, left men on first and second in the seventh and Jose Veras set them down 1-2-3 in the eighth.
Kameron Loe pitched the ninth, leaving two men on base as the Brewers moved a game over .500 for this first time since they were 4-3 on April 12.
Heyward homered with two outs in the first, while Dan Uggla hit into a double play in the fourth to plate Chipper Jones for a 2-0 Braves lead.
Each team won three games in the series, with Atlanta sweeping a three-game set at home back in early April ... The Brewers host the Mets for three games starting on Thursday ... Atlanta returns home to face Washington for three games ... Maholm is 3-11 in 22 starts against the Brewers in his career ... Gallardo moved to 4-1 in seven starts versus the Braves ... Milwaukee center fielder Carlos Gomez left in the second inning with a right quad contusion.
- ATLANTA: 2
Sep 12 11:04 PM
- Rickie Weeks lined out to right to end the inning.
Braves 2, Brewers 8 End 5Sep 12 9:50 PM
- Cristhian Martinez enters the game for the Braves with a runner on second and one out.
Braves 2, Brewers 7 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 12 9:44 PM
- Logan Schafer walked. Bases loaded with one out and Travis Ishikawa due up.
Braves 2, Brewers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 12 9:40 PM
- Aramis Ramirez singled to third. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Braves 2, Brewers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 12 9:36 PM
- Brian McCann grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Braves 2, Brewers 0 Mid 4Sep 12 9:10 PM
- Jason Heyward two-out, solo Home Run (26) to right. Chipper Jones due up.
Braves 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 12 8:14 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 8:10 PM
- Braves hope to stay hot on road as they visit Mets 10:47a
- Burnett tries to get off the schneid in Milwaukee 10:24a
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale Wed
- Braves hammer Twins to complete series sweep Wed
- Brewers' Lohse to miss next start Wed
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed
- Braves eye sweep of Twins in matinee affair Wed
- Brewers down Dodgers Wed
- Braves rally past Twins to extend streak Wed
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta Tue
- Greinke gets ball for Dodgers against Brewers Tue
- Kershaw's CG helps Dodgers edge Brewers Mon