Ross has six RBI as Red Sox rip White SoxJul 19, 2012 - 4:39 AM
Adrian Gonzalez went 3-for-4 including a home run and tallied four RBI for the Red Sox, who have won three of four.
Doubront (10-4) scattered four hits and one run over six solid innings to reach double-digit wins for the first time in his career.
Paul Konerko walked twice and drove in the lone run for the White Sox, who have dropped two of three in the set.
In his major-league debut, Pedro Hernandez (0-1) was rocked for 12 hits and eight runs over four-plus frames. Following the game, he was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte and a corresponding move will be made prior to Thursday's series finale.
"It's a bittersweet experience," said Hernandez of his debut. "You come up here and you really get to see the talent of these players. I was happy to be here but at the same token sad that I didn't get to help out the team."
The fireworks began in the home third, as Jacoby Ellsbury and Carl Crawford singled ahead of Ross' first longball which cleared the Green Monster and gave Boston a 4-1 edge.
In the following frame, Pedro Ciriaco and Ellsbury singled with one out and two batters later Ross launched another blast over the Monster once more. Gonzalez followed with an opposite-field shot and it was 8-1.
The Sox moved into double digits in the sixth. Crawford was plunked to start the inning, Ross doubled and Gonzalez plated both with a single.
After the first inning, Doubront only encountered trouble in the second -- leaving two runners on after fanning Alejandro De Aza. After a walk to Konerko in the third, he retired nine of the last 10 batters he faced.
Matt Albers, Marc Melancon and Andrew Miller combined to hold the White Sox hitless over the final three innings.
Chicago opened the scoring in the first, as De Aza and Kevin Youkilis singled, De Aza moved to third on Adam Dunn's double-play grounder then scored on a Konerko hit.
"I know the team is going to score runs," said Doubront about spotting the White Sox a run in the first inning. "We have a good team, very good hitters. I wasn't worried about that."
Ellsbury started the home half with a two-bagger and eventually scored on a Gonzalez single.
David Ortiz was the last Red Sox player to hit three-run homers in consecutive at-bats, back on Aug. 12, 2008. Pittsburgh's Pedro Alvarez was the last player to hit three-run homers in consecutive plate appearances. The Red Sox placed Ortiz on the 15-day disabled list due to a strained right Achilles tendon, and first baseman Mauro Gomez was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket...Ellsbury finished with three hits and scored three times, while Crawford scored a pair of runs...Hernandez's ERA stands at 18.00.
- CHICAGO: 1
Jul 18 10:15 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Carl Crawford and Cody Ross. Runner on first with none out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 10 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 18 9:36 PM
- Will Middlebrooks flied out to right to end the inning.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 8 End 4Jul 18 8:59 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, three-run Home Run 2 (15) to left-center scored Pedro Ciriaco and Jacoby Ellsbury. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 18 8:55 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 18 8:31 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on first with two out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 18 7:49 PM
- Alex Rios flied out to center to end the inning.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 0 Mid 1Jul 18 7:38 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 18 7:24 PM
- Lackey shines as Red Sox crush Tribe 11:03p
- Red Sox place Middlebrooks, Victorino on DL 4:12p
- White Sox P Danks to make first start of season 2:47p
- Masterson hopes to keep Indians rolling in Boston 10:31a
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins 10:23a
- Tribe rips Red Sox as Francona returns to Boston Thu
- Tribe try to get back on track, as Francona returns to Fenway Thu
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox Thu
- Red Sox try to avoid the brooms in Chicago Wed
- Quintana, ChiSox shut down Red Sox Wed
- Sale will not pitch on Wednesday Tue
- Red Sox hope to bounce back against White Sox Tue