Peavy leads White Sox past CubsMay 21, 2012 - 12:24 AM
Peavy (5-1) fanned seven and surrendered three hits and two walks for the White Sox, who have won four in a row. Peavy threw 70 of his 100 pitches for strikes.
It's the first series win for the White Sox in their last nine. Chicago had not taken a set since it swept the Mariners on April 20-22 at Seattle.
"Everybody's doing their part, starting pitching, the relievers, hitters getting timely hits and playing defense. You put those together you're going to have a good chance," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said of his team's recent success.
Paul Maholm (4-3) was charged with five runs on nine hits for the Cubs, who have dropped six straight.
"After going through a pretty good two-week stretch, now we're at a week stretch of no wins and getting swept by the White Sox at home is about as low as you're going to get," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said.
The Cubs were 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base.
The White Sox pushed across a pair of runs in the fourth inning, one in the fifth, two in the seventh and one more in the ninth.
Back-to-back homers from Beckham and Dunn gave the White Sox a 2-0 advantage in the fourth. Beckham drilled a hanging changeup that hooked just inside the left-field foul pole while Dunn launched a towering opposite-field shot that sailed into the final row of the seats in left-center.
Flowers, who had two hits and scored twice, belted a solo blast that cleared the left-field bleachers as Chicago took a 3-0 lead in the fifth.
He led off the seventh with a double and moved to third on Brent Lillibridge's single. Peavy grounded into a fielder's choice, which scored Flowers, then scampered to third on Alejandro De Aza's single. He crossed the plate on Beckham's sacrifice fly to right, which made it 5-0.
Alex Rios laced an RBI double to left in the ninth, which accounted for the final margin.
Dunn's homer was his 14th of the year...The White Sox were 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position...Peavy induced seven groundouts and just one fly out.
- CHICAGO: 6
May 20 5:19 PM
- Alejandro De Aza lined out to left. Runner on second with one out and Gordon Beckham due up.
White Sox 6, Cubs 0 Top 9, 1 OutMay 20 5:04 PM
- Gordon Beckham sacrifice fly out to right scored Jake Peavy with two out. Runner on first and Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 5, Cubs 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 20 4:15 PM
- Jake Peavy reached first on a fielder's choice, short to second, that scored Tyler Flowers with one out. On the play, Brent Lillibridge out at second. Runner on first and Alejandro De Aza due up.
White Sox 4, Cubs 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 20 4:10 PM
- Tyler Flowers lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Brent Lillibridge due up.
White Sox 3, Cubs 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 20 3:36 PM
- Adam Dunn none-out, solo Home Run (14) to center. Dayan Viciedo due up.
White Sox 2, Cubs 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 20 3:15 PM
- Gordon Beckham lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 1, Cubs 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 20 3:13 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 20 2:23 PM
- ChiSox to add reliever Belisario 9:07p
- Report: Cubs sign P Wright Thu
- Konerko inks deal to stay on the South Side Wed
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Cubs name Mueller hitting coach Nov 22
- White Sox nab INF Elmore off waivers Nov 20
- Cubs officially name Renteria new manager Nov 7
- Reports: Cubs to name Renteria new manager Nov 6
- Cubs, White Sox minor leaguers suspended Nov 1
- White Sox keep Lindstrom for 2014 season Oct 31
- White Sox sign Cuba's Abreu Oct 29
- Cubs, Sweeney agree to two-year contract Oct 10