Reds down AstrosJun 2, 2012 - 4:51 AM
Leake (2-5) struck out seven and walked just three over seven frames.
"He struggled a little bit but got out of trouble when he had to," said Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker about Leake. "He gave up seven strong innings tonight and was sharp."
Jay Bruce homered and had two RBI while Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips each drove in a run for the Reds, winners in four of their last six.
Jed Lowrie went 1-for-2 with two walks and Carlos Lee had a hit for the Astros, who have lost seven in a row. Jose Altuve scored the lone run for Houston.
J.A. Happ (4-5) was pegged with the loss after giving up three runs on five hits over seven innings.
"I made some good pitches, but then I didn't make a few there," said Happ. "Sometimes there's games where you have no room for error and tonight was one of them."
The Reds jumped ahead to an early 2-0 lead in the first. Votto single before scoring on Phillips' double. Bruce followed with a single to score Phillips.
Cincinnati added another run in the third to go ahead 3-0. Zack Cozart walked, moved to second on a Schafer sac-fly and scored when Votto laced a single up the middle.
The Astros got on the board in the sixth when Lee grounded into a double play. Altuve and Lowrie hit back-to-back singles to put runners on the corners before Lee grounded into the 4-6-3 double play.
Bruce's solo shot in the ninth gave the Reds' the deciding 4-1 lead.
Aroldis Chapman tossed a perfect ninth to seal his fourth save of the season.
Chapman extended his franchise-best record of appearances without a run to 22...Cincinnati had its first day off in 20 days on Thursday...Votto extended his hitting streak to eight games...Houston center fielder Jordan Schafer, who went 1-for-4 in the game, has a six-game hitting streak...Houston's seven- game slide is the longest since they dropped seven in a row August 9-15, 2011.
- CINCINNATI: 4
Jun 1 10:34 PM
- Aroldis Chapman starts the inning for the Reds.
Reds 4, Astros 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 1 10:30 PM
- Carlos Lee grounded into a double play, second to short to first scoring Jose Altuve with two out. On the play, Jed Lowrie out at second. None on and Chris Johnson due up.
Reds 3, Astros 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 1 9:40 PM
- Brandon Phillips grounded into a double play, third to second to first. On the play, Joey Votto out at second to end the inning.
Reds 3, Astros 0 Mid 3Jun 1 8:52 PM
- Ryan Ludwick grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. On the play, Jay Bruce out at second to end the inning.
Reds 2, Astros 0 Mid 1Jun 1 8:18 PM
- Brandon Phillips double to left scored Joey Votto with two out. Runner on second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 1 8:14 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 1 8:08 PM
- Dominguez helps Astros slip past Royals 11:11p
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets 11:02p
- Reds activate Cueto from DL 6:35p
- Reds' Votto claims NL Player of the Week honor 4:28p
- Royals' Guthrie tries to rebound vs. Astros 10:39a
- Cueto returns from DL to face Mets 10:32a
- Phillies stun Reds with ninth-inning comeback Sun
- Alvarez homers, Pittsburgh pitches past Houston Sun
- Bailey tries to string back-to-back wins together in Philly Sun
- Locke eyes a win in rubber match against Astros Sun
- Arroyo shines as Reds rout Phillies Sun
- Astros edge Pirates in 11 innings Sun