Latos and Reds knock down AstrosJul 24, 2012 - 5:31 AM
Latos (8-3) allowed just two runs on eight hits and two walks over five frames to earn the victory, while Todd Frazier and Ryan Ludwick each registered three hits, two RBI and two runs scored to help the Reds earn their fifth straight victory.
Cincinnati now owns a 1 1/2 game lead in the National League Central over the Pittsburgh Pirates, who lost to the Chicago Cubs earlier on Monday.
Wandy Rodriguez (7-9) absorbed the loss after giving up three runs on seven hits and three walks with six strikeouts over six innings.
Chris Johnson tied a career-high with four base hits, but the Astros dropped their seventh straight game and have now lost 20 of their last 22 contests.
"We're trying not to believe in personal goals around here just trying to turn this thing around," remarked Johnson. "I'd rather take an 0-for and a win."
The Reds wasted little time getting to Rodriguez in the first as Drew Stubbs and Brandon Phillips each stroked one-out singles before Frazier followed two batters later with a two-out base hit to left to plate Stubbs for a 1-0 lead.
Cincinnati added to its lead in the third when Stubbs singled to start the frame, stole second, and scored on Ludwick's one-out double to center. Scott Rolen then worked a walk two batters later and Chris Heisey followed with a single to right to score Ludwick for a 3-0 advantage.
Houston battled back in the fifth as Jose Altuve singled and Marwin Gonzalez followed with a double. Scott Moore's groundout chased home Altuve before Johnson launched a double into center field to plate Gonzalez and trim the deficit to 3-2.
Latos appeared to injure himself on Gonzalez's double, but finished off the inning before being lifted for pinch-hitter Miguel Cairo in the sixth.
"He sprained his ankle. He overstrided on that one and you could tell," said Reds manager Dusty Baker of Latos. "We'll know more tomorrow but right now it looks like he's okay."
The Reds tacked on a run in the seventh when Frazier singled through the left side with one out and Rolen followed with a double into the right-field corner, allowing Frazier to score from first to make it a 4-2 game.
A single from Heisey put runners on second and third for Ryan Hanigan, who hit a grounder to Johnson at third. Johnson fired home to cut down Rolen at the plate, but Jay Bruce came on as a pinch-hitter and ripped a two-out single to right to plate Heisey and extend the Reds' lead to 5-2.
In the eighth, Phillips doubled, stole third and then crossed home on Ludwick's single to center. Ludwick then scored from first on Frazier's double to left before Hanigan added an RBI single three batters later to make it a six-run margin.
Gonzalez then added an RBI fielder's choice groundout in the bottom of the eighth to account for the final margin.
Latos improved to 4-1 in seven career starts against Houston...The Reds improved to 33-2 when Stubbs scores a run...Rodriguez fell to 9-9 in 26 career starts against the Reds...Houston went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left 13 on base.
- CINCINNATI: 8
Jul 24 12:04 AM
- Marwin Gonzalez grounded into a fielder's choice, short to third scoring Chris Snyder with two out. On the play, Brian Bogusevic out at third. Jose Altuve advances to second. Runners on first and second and Scott Moore due up.
Reds 8, Astros 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 23 11:36 PM
- Ryan Hanigan singled to left scoring Todd Frazier with two out. On the play, Sam LeCure advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 8, Astros 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 23 11:15 PM
- Todd Frazier doubled to left scoring Ryan Ludwick with one out. Runner on second and Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 7, Astros 2 Top 8, 1 OutJul 23 11:07 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jay Bruce singled to right scoring Chris Heisey with two out. On the play, Ryan Hanigan advances to third. Runners on first and third and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 5, Astros 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 23 10:36 PM
- Scott Rolen doubled to right scoring Todd Frazier with one out. Runner on second and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 4, Astros 2 Top 7, 1 OutJul 23 10:25 PM
- Chris Johnson doubled to center scoring Marwin Gonzalez with one out. Runner on second and Justin Maxwell due up.
Reds 3, Astros 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 23 9:53 PM
- Scott Moore grounded out short to first scoring Jose Altuve with one out. On the play, Marwin Gonzalez advances to third. Runner on third and Chris Johnson due up.
Reds 3, Astros 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 23 9:53 PM
- Chris Heisey singled to right scoring Ryan Ludwick with two out. On the play, Scott Rolen advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 3, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 23 9:00 PM
- Ryan Ludwick doubled to center scoring Drew Stubbs with one out. Runner on second and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 2, Astros 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 23 8:56 PM
- Scott Rolen lined out to short to end the inning.
Reds 1, Astros 0 Mid 1Jul 23 8:18 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 8:08 PM
- Rounding Third: Astros take step in the right direction 12:19p
- Phils send red-hot Kendrick to hill to face Reds 9:31a
- Burnett hopes to add to Astros' woes 9:26a
- Streaking Pirates best Astros on 9th-inning error 1:27a
- Phils end Reds' six-game winning streak 11:19p
- Reid Ryan named Astros president Fri
- Astros renew old rivalry against Pirates Fri
- Cingrani, Lee square off in Philly Fri
- Reds nip Marlins in extras Fri
- Reid Ryan to be named president of Astros Thu
- Latos draws the start for Reds against Marlins Thu
- Choo hits 2 HRs, carries Reds over Marlins Thu