Yankees complete sweep of Indians; lose PettitteJun 27, 2012 - 10:51 PM
But the win proved to be costly for the Yankees, who have won five in a row. After placing CC Sabathia on the 15-day disabled list prior to the contest, New York saw Andy Pettitte exit in the fifth inning with a left ankle fracture.
Sabathia is only expected to miss a pair of starts due to the All-Star break. However, the news is not so great for Pettitte. He's expected to miss at least six weeks. The 40-year-old will be placed on crutches and into a boot.
Eric Chavez went 2-for-3 with three RBI for the Yankees, who recorded their seventh series sweep of the season.
Pettitte gave up two runs -- one earned -- on three hits before leaving. Freddy Garcia (2-2), who was scheduled to start Friday's game against the White Sox, tossed 2 1/3 scoreless innings of relief to pick up the win.
"I felt I needed to try to win the game," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said, "and Freddy did an outstanding job. He's one of the reasons we won this game today."
Michael Brantley, Shelley Duncan, Asdrubal Cabrera and Jason Kipnis each knocked in a run for the Indians, who have dropped five straight games.
Ubaldo Jimenez (7-6) allowed four runs on four hits over six full frames. He struck out seven and walked four.
"He's a competitor. He's a great pitcher," Jimenez said of Pettitte. "Everybody has followed him -- even when I was a kid. He's been with the Yankees for a long time. It's really sad. It's really sad for any pitcher. It could happen to anyone."
The Indians got on the board in the second. Carlos Santana reached first on third baseman Alex Rodriguez's throwing error and scored on Duncan's double to right-center field.
New York's first hit of the game came in the fourth, when Cano hit a one-out single. Raul Ibanez walked and both runners scored on Chavez's double to left- center field.
But the Yankees lost the lead and Pettitte in the fifth. Casey Kotchman led off with an infield single that hit off the left ankle of Pettitte. Cody Eppley came in from the bullpen and gave up an infield single to Lou Marson. The runners moved up a base on a sacrifice bunt and Clay Rapada came into the game. Kotchman was thrown out at the plate on Brantley's grounder. Cabrera and Kipnis followed with consecutive RBI singles to give Cleveland a 3-2 edge.
"It's frustrating...you get hit on the leg on a ball up the middle, and now you're going to be out four-to-six weeks before you can probably throw a baseball," Girardi said of Pettitte.
New York took the lead back for good in the sixth. Rodriguez led off with a double down the right-field line and scored on Cano's homer to left.
The Yankees tacked on a key insurance run in the eighth. Mark Teixeira reached base when he grounded into a fielder's choice, moved to second on Ibanez's single and scored on Chavez's base hit to right.
The Indians did not go down without a fight in the ninth. Rafael Soriano loaded the bases with one out. Pinch-hitter Johnny Damon struck out swinging before Brantley walked to force in a run. Cabrera flied out to left to end the game.
Girardi said after the game that Adam Warren will start on Friday. He added that Garcia will start on Monday...New York has won 15 of 18 and 19 of 24 in June.
- CLEVELAND: 4
NEW YORK: 5
Jun 27 4:09 PM
- Michael Brantley walk scored Lonnie Chisenhall with two out. Bases loaded and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 4, Yankees 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 27 4:07 PM
- Eric Chavez singled to right scoring Mark Teixeira with two out. On the play, DeWayne Wise advances to second. Runners on first and second with Russell Martin due up.
Indians 3, Yankees 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 27 3:46 PM
- Mark Teixeira flied out to left. None on with one out and Raul Ibanez due up.
Indians 3, Yankees 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 27 3:09 PM
- Jason Kipnis singled to left scoring Michael Brantley with two out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third with Jose Lopez due up.
Indians 3, Yankees 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 2:42 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera singled to left scoring Lou Marson with two out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second. Runners on first and second with Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 2, Yankees 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 2:41 PM
- Eric Chavez doubled to left scoring Robinson Cano and Raul Ibanez with two out. Runner on second and Russell Martin due up.
Indians 1, Yankees 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 27 2:17 PM
- Shelley Duncan doubled to right scoring Carlos Santana with none out. Runner on second and Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 27 1:35 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 1:10 PM
- Lester seeks to rebound, extend success versus Indians 7:30a
- Lackey shines as Red Sox crush Tribe 2:38a
- Yanks cruise past Rays 10:33p
- Yankees' Granderson fractures knuckle 10:18p
- Yankees activate Nova 6:00p
- Indians activate Swisher from paternity list 4:41p
- Rays hope to extend home success over Yankees Fri
- Masterson hopes to keep Indians rolling in Boston Fri
- Tribe rips Red Sox as Francona returns to Boston Thu
- Indians' Huff designated Thu
- Tribe try to get back on track, as Francona returns to Fenway Thu
- Tigers outlast Indians Thu