Padres edge RockiesJul 23, 2012 - 1:25 AM
Venable drove in Everth Cabrera, who had a pair of hits and scored twice as the Padres won for the seventh time in their last nine tries.
Dale Thayer (2-2) picked up the win after tossing 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief of Ross Ohlendorf, who recovered from early-inning struggles to twirl 6 2/3 strong innings. Ohlendorf gave up two runs on five hits and two walks while striking out six on his way to a no decision.
"All year we've talked about timely hitting and good pitching, and today was a culmination of all that," Padres manager Bud Black said.
The Padres also made some news off the field, signing outfielder Carlos Quentin to a three-year contract extension worth a reported $27 million. He went 0-for-4 on Sunday.
DJ LeMahieu had two hits and drove in a run for the Rockies, who lost for the sixth time in their last eight games.
Rockies starter Christian Friedrich picked up a no decision after allowing two runs on three hits and three walks over five innings.
"I thought he did a competitive job, but there was the possibility today for him to go longer," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said about Friedrich. "However, he got himself into where he had to get back into counts and it cut his outing short."
Adam Ottavino (2-1) was handed the loss after being charged with the losing run in his one-plus innings of relief work.
Cabrera lined a single off Ottavino to start the seventh inning. Matt Reynolds replaced Ottavino and, after a sacrifice moved Cabrera to second, gave up a base hit to Will Venable to allow the decisive run to score.
Huston Street retired the Rockies, his former team, and threw his 15th straight scoreless appearance to pick up his 16th save of the season.
Eric Young, Jr. tripled to start the game and then scored on Marco Scutaro's base hit, giving Colorado a quick 1-0 lead after the top half of the first.
San Diego evened up the score in the home half. Alexi Amarista led off the bottom half of the frame with a double and advanced to third on a wild pitch. He scored on Chase Headley's sacrifice fly to tie the game after one.
The Rockies regained the lead in the second when Josh Rutledge singled and scored on LeMahieu's double.
Cabrera ignited the Padres to tie the game in the fourth. He walked with two outs in the inning and advanced to second on a wild pitch. John Baker lined a single to center and Cabrera just beat the throw to the plate to tie the game.
Friedrich has allowed four runs in 16 innings across three starts against the Padres this season (2.25 earned run average)...The Padres reinstated pitcher Eric Stults from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game and optioned pitcher Nick Vincent to Triple-A Tucson...The Padres are 21-14 since June 12...Over their last 12 games, the Padres bullpen has allowed five runs in 36 2/3 innings...Street has not allowed a run in 13 2/3 innings...San Diego stole two bases, both by Cameron Maybin, and rank second in the major leagues with 85 steals...Colorado went 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded five men on base...San Diego went 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left six.
- COLORADO: 2
SAN DIEGO: 3
Jul 22 7:00 PM
- Will Venable single to right scored Everth Cabrera with one out. On the play, Will Venable advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second and Alexi Amarista due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 22 6:25 PM
- John Baker single to center scored Everth Cabrera with two out. On the play, John Baker advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second and Ross Ohlendorf due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 22 5:30 PM
- DJ LeMahieu double to right scored Josh Rutledge with one out. On the play, DJ LeMahieu advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third and Christian Friedrich due up.
Rockies 2, Padres 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 22 4:37 PM
- Jesus Guzman popped out to short to end the inning.
Rockies 1, Padres 1 End 1Jul 22 4:28 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to left scored Eric Young Jr. with none out. Runner on first and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 22 4:09 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 4:07 PM
- Cards take series in San Diego; Lyons wins debut Thu
- Rockies send Rutledge to Triple-A Wed
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Descalso, Wainwright leads Cards over Padres Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Wainwright tries to find win column versus Padres Tue
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Marquis, Padres get by Cardinals Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- Streaking Cards hit the road to battle Padres Mon