Murphy leads Rangers past TigersJun 28, 2012 - 5:34 AM Texas Rangers to a wild 13-9 win over the Detroit Tigers.
Texas was out-hit 17-16 -- Roy Oswalt gave up a career-high 13 in six innings -- but captured its second in a row to win the three-game series.
Ian Kinsler added a two-run homer and Adrian Beltre had three hits for the Rangers, who moved to 10-2 in their last 12 games to remain 4 1/2 ahead of the Angels in the AL West.
Oswalt (2-0) still walked off with his second straight win for the Rangers despite the shaky outing. The 34-year-old righty, who made his season debut against the Rockies last Friday, allowed five runs while walking two and striking out six.
"It was a good team win. The guys gave me some runs to work with and kept adding on," said Oswalt.
Quintin Berry, Alex Avila and Jhonny Peralta had three hits apiece for the Tigers, but they lost for the fourth time in their last six games. Doug Fister (1-5) gave up nine runs -- eight earned -- in just 4 1/3 innings to take the loss. He allowed nine hits, a walk and struck out five.
The Rangers scored two runs in the eighth after Detroit had pulled within 11-9 in the top of the inning and Joe Nathan kept the Tigers off the board in the ninth.
Earlier, Beltre sparked a four-run Rangers rally in the second inning with a leadoff single. He went to second on Michael Young's base hit and scored when third baseman Miguel Cabrera threw wide of first on a Nelson Cruz grounder.
Murphy followed with his first homer of the game, a three-run blast to right that made it 4-0.
The Tigers got a run back in the third after Ryan Raburn led off with a double and scored on Cabrera's single up the middle, and they pulled within 4-2 on three straight base hits by Avila, Peralta and Brennan Boesch in the fourth.
Murphy knocked a first-pitch fastball from Fister over the right-center field wall with one down in the fourth for his second homer of the game and ninth of the season. Mike Napoli followed with a single and Kinsler made it 7-2 with his ninth homer, a two-out shot to center.
The Tigers, clawing back all game long, pulled within 7-5 on Berry's RBI triple and Peralta's two-run double in the fifth. Fister came out with two on and one down in the bottom of the fifth and Murphy greeted Duane Below with an RBI single. Leonys Martin's two-run triple pushed Texas' lead to 10-5.
Young's single scored Elvis Andrus in the sixth to make it 11-5, but the Tigers made a game of it again with a four-run eighth, starting the rally against Martin Perez in his major league debut.
All four runs were charged to Perez, but only one was earned. Raburn scored after a wild pitch and an Austin Jackson single, and Jackson came home later when Kinsler and Perez were late on a hook-up at first on Prince Fielder's grounder.
Fielder tackled Perez on the play after the two collided near the bag, with the hulking Tigers first baseman trying to hold the youngster up. Perez came out and Delmon Young and Avila hit RBI singles off Mike Adams.
Kinsler reached second base on a pop-up off Octavio Dotel to start the bottom of the eighth when Raburn inexplicably lost sight of the ball behind the infield. He scored on Andrus' bunt single after Cabrera's bad throw to first and Beltre added an RBI double for a 13-9 lead.
"The only frustrating thing about a game like this is that when you score that many runs, you're supposed to win," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "We didn't help ourselves defensively, but our guys kept coming back."
The Rangers improved to 5-2 in the season series. They are 4-2 on a 10-game homestand that concludes with four against the A's beginning Thursday...The Tigers are 2-4 on a 10-game road trip that continues with four at Tampa Bay starting Thursday.
- DETROIT: 9
Jun 27 11:33 PM
- Adrian Beltre doubled to left scored Elvis Andrus with one out. Runner on second and Michael Young due up.
Tigers 9, Rangers 13 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 27 11:17 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to third scored Ian Kinsler with none out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Tigers 9, Rangers 12 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 27 11:12 PM
- Alex Avila singled to left scored Prince Fielder with two outs. On the play, Delmon Young advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 9, Rangers 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 27 11:02 PM
- Delmon Young singled to left scored Miguel Cabrera with two outs. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 8, Rangers 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 27 10:59 PM
- Prince Fielder reached first on Ian Kinsler's throwing error, scoring Austin Jackson with two outs. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 7, Rangers 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 27 10:54 PM
- Austin Jackson singled to right scored Ryan Raburn with one out. Runner on first and Quintin Berry due up.
Tigers 6, Rangers 11 Top 8, 1 OutJun 27 10:48 PM
- Michael Young singled to right scored Elvis Andrus with one out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 11 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 27 10:22 PM
- Leonys Martin tripled to right scoring Nelson Cruz and David Murphy with two outs. Runner on third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 27 10:01 PM
- David Murphy singled to center scored Adrian Beltre with one out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Napoli due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 8 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 27 9:57 PM
- Jhonny Peralta doubled to left scored Prince Fielder and Delmon Young with two outs. On the play, Alex Avila advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 7 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 9:40 PM
- Quintin Berry tripled to right scoring Austin Jackson with none out. Runner on third and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 3, Rangers 7 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 27 9:31 PM
- Ian Kinsler two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Mike Napoli. Elvis Andrus due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 27 9:21 PM
- Mike Napoli singled to left. Runner on first with one out and Leonys Martin due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 27 9:16 PM
- Brennan Boesch singled to right scored Alex Avila with one out. On the play, Jhonny Peralta advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Raburn due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 4 Top 4, 1 OutJun 27 9:09 PM
- Miguel Cabrera singled to center scoring Ryan Raburn with two outs. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 1, Rangers 4 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 27 8:54 PM
- David Murphy none-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Michael Young and Nelson Cruz. Mike Napoli due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 27 8:45 PM
- Nelson Cruz reached first on Miguel Cabrera's thrwoing error, scoring Adrian Beltre with no outs. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second and Michael Young advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and David Murphy due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 27 8:45 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 8:08 PM
- First-inning burst helps Wolf, Rangers down A's 7:51p
- Rangers call up Wolf 12:50p
- Tigers ace Verlander hopes to rebound against Tribe 10:41a
- A's shoot for sweep of rival Rangers 10:37a
- Tigers whip Tribe as Scherzer remains unbeaten 1:59a
- Straily, Cespedes help A's edge Rangers 1:56a
- Rangers activate Pierzynski Tue
- Sizzling Indians open quick set versus Tigers Tue
- Darvish targets win No. 8 in matchup with A's Tue
- Smith guides A's over Rangers Tue
- Rangers summon Lindblom to make first major league start Mon
- Rangers try to stretch AL West lead in opener with A's Mon