Rangers turn to Oswalt in finale with TigersJun 27, 2012 - 2:28 PM Texas Rangers to a series win this evening when they wrap up their three-game set against the Detroit Tigers at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.
Oswalt signed a minor league deal with the Rangers back on May 29 and he won his debut with the team on Friday against Colorado, holding the Rockies to a run and nine hits in 6 2/3 innings. He also struck out six and walked a batter.
"I won't tell you I wasn't nervous," Oswalt said after the game. "If you don't have butterflies, you might as well get out of the game."
Oswalt has never faced the Tigers.
Texas can only hope that Oswalt delivers the way Yu Darvish did on Tuesday. The Japanese right-hander gutted through seven innings and became the second pitcher in the last 50 years to win his first seven starts at home, as the Rangers pulled out a 7-5 win.
Darvish (10-4), who allowed three of the first four Tigers to reach base, retired 19 of the final 22 batters he faced. In all, the 25-year-old fanned 10 and surrendered four runs on four hits and a walk.
"It seemed like the longer the game went the better he got," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "He was trying to get rhythm again those first few innings. They put some runs on the board, but we came back and answered, and he continued to pound the strike zone."
The only other pitcher to win his first seven home starts was the Montreal Expos' Carlos Perez, who won his first eight home tilts in 1995.
Josh Hamilton belted his 24th homer of the year while Michael Young smacked an RBI triple as part of a game-deciding four-run bottom of the fourth inning for the Rangers, who have won nine of their last 11 games.
Prince Fielder registered two hits, including a two-run homer, to go with four RBI for the Tigers, who had an opportunity to reach the .500 mark for the first time since May 15, when they were 18-18.
"You got a long season and it's frustrating," said Tigers left fielder Quintin Berry of not getting to .500. "You get closer and closer and you fall one back ... we'll get there."
Fresh off the disabled list, Drew Smyly (2-3) was touched for six runs on eight hits and two walks in 4 2/3 innings. The 23-year-old rookie had been sidelined since June 11 with a blister on the middle finger of his pitching hand.
Tonight, Detroit turns to righty Doug Fister, who has lost four of his five decisions this season, despite a 2.72 ERA. Fister lost to Pittsburgh on Friday, as he allowed four runs (2 earned) and eight hits in six innings.
"It comes down to executing, and I did a poor job of that tonight," Fister said after the game. "I just wasn't together today. I need to do a better job."
Fister has faced the Rangers six times and is 2-3 against them with a 4.38 ERA.
Texas took three of four from the Tigers earlier in the season.
- DETROIT: 9
Jun 27 11:33 PM
- Adrian Beltre doubled to left scored Elvis Andrus with one out. Runner on second and Michael Young due up.
Tigers 9, Rangers 13 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 27 11:17 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to third scored Ian Kinsler with none out. Runner on first and Josh Hamilton due up.
Tigers 9, Rangers 12 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 27 11:12 PM
- Alex Avila singled to left scored Prince Fielder with two outs. On the play, Delmon Young advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 9, Rangers 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 27 11:02 PM
- Delmon Young singled to left scored Miguel Cabrera with two outs. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second. Runners on first and second and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 8, Rangers 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 27 10:59 PM
- Prince Fielder reached first on Ian Kinsler's throwing error, scoring Austin Jackson with two outs. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on first and third and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 7, Rangers 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 27 10:54 PM
- Austin Jackson singled to right scored Ryan Raburn with one out. Runner on first and Quintin Berry due up.
Tigers 6, Rangers 11 Top 8, 1 OutJun 27 10:48 PM
- Michael Young singled to right scored Elvis Andrus with one out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 11 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 27 10:22 PM
- Leonys Martin tripled to right scoring Nelson Cruz and David Murphy with two outs. Runner on third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 27 10:01 PM
- David Murphy singled to center scored Adrian Beltre with one out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Napoli due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 8 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 27 9:57 PM
- Jhonny Peralta doubled to left scored Prince Fielder and Delmon Young with two outs. On the play, Alex Avila advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 5, Rangers 7 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 9:40 PM
- Quintin Berry tripled to right scoring Austin Jackson with none out. Runner on third and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 3, Rangers 7 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 27 9:31 PM
- Ian Kinsler two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Mike Napoli. Elvis Andrus due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 27 9:21 PM
- Mike Napoli singled to left. Runner on first with one out and Leonys Martin due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 27 9:16 PM
- Brennan Boesch singled to right scored Alex Avila with one out. On the play, Jhonny Peralta advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Raburn due up.
Tigers 2, Rangers 4 Top 4, 1 OutJun 27 9:09 PM
- Miguel Cabrera singled to center scoring Ryan Raburn with two outs. Runner on first and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 1, Rangers 4 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 27 8:54 PM
- David Murphy none-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Michael Young and Nelson Cruz. Mike Napoli due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 4 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 27 8:45 PM
- Nelson Cruz reached first on Miguel Cabrera's thrwoing error, scoring Adrian Beltre with no outs. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second and Michael Young advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and David Murphy due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 27 8:45 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 8:08 PM
- Tigers bring in Chamberlain 2:00p
- Report: Chamberlain headed to Detroit Thu
- Rangers pick Russell Wilson in Rule 5; sign four to minor deals Thu
- Tigers, Davis agree to 2-year contract Wed
- Rangers, Arencibia agree to one-year deal Tue
- Report: Tigers, Davis agree to contract Tue
- Rangers sign Contreras to minor-league deal Dec 5
- Tigers finalize deal with Nathan Dec 4
- Rangers, A's complete four-player trade Dec 3
- Tigers bolster bullpen with addition of Nathan Dec 3
- Nats acquire Fister from Tigers Dec 2
- Tigers avoid arbitration with Kelly Dec 2