Deduno, Mastroianni shine as Twins rip TigersAug 14, 2012 - 4:24 AM
Mastroianni also made a diving catch in the eighth inning to slow a Tigers rally. Ryan Doumit smacked a three-run homer, as the Twins snapped a four-game slide.
Deduno (4-0), who made his seventh major league start and 13th appearance, surrendered five hits and three runs while fanning six batters.
"He kept those guys off balance all night," Doumit said.
Anibal Sanchez (1-3) was pelted for a season-high 12 hits and five runs over 5 1/3 innings, as the Tigers dropped their third in a row.
"So far he hasn't really gotten the ball down," Tigers manager Jim Leyland commented on Sanchez, who was acquired from the Marlins on July 23. "I certainly know he's a better pitcher than what he's shown so far."
Sanchez was hit in the knee area on a bouncer off the bat of Joe Mauer in the opening inning. Sanchez, who recovered for the out, received medical attention, but stayed in the game and allowed three straight singles in the third, the last coming on Justin Morneau's run-scoring hit to left.
Jhonny Peralta doubled in Brennan Boesch in the fifth inning, but the Twins went ahead for good in their half of the frame on Mastroianni's homer to left.
Minnesota added three runs in each the sixth and seventh frames for an 8-1 cushion. Alexi Casilla doubled in one, and Mastroianni's line base hit to center made it 5-1.
Doumit cranked his 14th homer of the year in the seventh. Facing Duane Below, Doumit homered to left on the eighth pitch of his at-bat.
Miguel Cabrera and Delmon Young singled in runs in the eighth. The Tigers were actually threatening for a huge frame. Cabrera's hit was the third in a row to start the eighth, but Prince Fielder then sent a line drive to right, where Mastroianni made a sliding catch.
Josh Willingham's sacrifice fly capped the scoring.
The Twins returned Trevor Plouffe from his rehab assignment and reinstated him from the 15-day disabled list. He went 0-for-4...Detroit lost for just the fourth time in their last 14 games at Target Field...Cabrera has 16 RBI against the Twins this season...Twins center fielder Denard Span (sore right shoulder) missed the game.
- DETROIT: 3
Aug 13 11:16 PM
- Josh Willingham sacrifice fly out to center scored Ben Revere with two outs. Runner on first and Justin Morneau due up.
Tigers 3, Twins 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 13 11:06 PM
- Delmon Young single to center scored Andy Dirks with two outs. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brennan Boesch due up.
Tigers 3, Twins 8 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 13 10:48 PM
- Miguel Cabrera single to short scored Austin Jackson with none out. Runners on first and second with and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 2, Twins 8 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 13 10:40 PM
- Trevor Plouffe popped out to short. None on with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Tigers 1, Twins 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 13 10:30 PM
- Brennan Boesch struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 1, Twins 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 13 10:11 PM
- Alexi Casilla double to right scored Ryan Doumit. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Ben Revere due up.
Tigers 1, Twins 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 13 9:59 PM
- Darin Mastroianni one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Joe Mauer due up.
Tigers 1, Twins 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 13 9:39 PM
- Andy Dirks lined into a double play, pitcher to second to first to end the inning.
Tigers 1, Twins 1 Mid 5Aug 13 9:34 PM
- Justin Morneau single to left scored Joe Mauer. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Doumit due up.
Tigers 0, Twins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 13 9:09 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 8:11 PM
- Tigers open set with Twins at Comerica Park 10:38a
- Tigers outlast Indians 2:43a
- Twins option Worley to minors Wed
- Braves hammer Twins to complete series sweep Wed
- Tigers ace Verlander hopes to rebound against Tribe Wed
- Twins' Plouffe lands on 7-day DL with concussion Wed
- Braves eye sweep of Twins in matinee affair Wed
- Tigers whip Tribe as Scherzer remains unbeaten Wed
- Braves rally past Twins to extend streak Wed
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta Tue
- Sizzling Indians open quick set versus Tigers Tue
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins Tue