Pirates bang up AstrosJul 3, 2012 - 2:50 AM
Jones had four hits and knocked in four runs, while Walker ended with three RBI. Andrew McCutchen, who was named the NL's top player for June, went 4- for-5 with an RBI and three runs scored as the Pirates won for the fifth time in six games.
Casey McGehee ended 3-for-5 with two runs driven in an 18-hit attack for the Pirates.
James McDonald (8-3) was stellar on the mound, allowing four hits and a pair of runs over seven innings.
Scott Moore homered for Houston, which lost its fifth in a row overall and seventh straight on the road.
Jordan Lyles (2-5) surrendered nine hits and seven runs, while fanning six over four-plus innings. The 21-year-old right-hander has yet to win on the road (0-7) in his major league career in 16 games (14 starts).
"I threw pitches I wanted to throw. They were just the better team tonight," Lyles said.
Jose Altuve scored on a J.D. Martinez single to right in the top of the first, and the Astros threatened to widen the lead in the fourth. With the bases full, McGehee made a nice defensive play at third when Altuve hit into a force play to end the inning.
The Pirates scored four times in both the fourth and fifth innings to take control. McCutchen singled to lead off the fourth and Jones followed with a homer. Walker then hit a towering fly off the same pole for a 3-1 difference.
"We took some better swings. When a mistake was made we seemed to get on it," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
McGehee doubled to right and scored on a Clint Barmes base hit to center.
McCutchen and Jones each had RBI doubles in the fifth, and McGehee laced a two-run double off Rhiner Cruz later in the inning with the ball glancing off the glove of right fielder Brian Bogusevic.
Moore homered to right in the sixth, but Jones legged out a bases-loaded infield hit on a check-swing roller toward third in the bottom of the inning. The hit off Fernando Abad broke Jones' 0-for-24 string against lefties going back to last season.
Walker capped the rout with a two-run double off the wrist of a leaping Bogusevic in the eighth.
The Bucs have won nine of their last 11 home games...Pittsburgh has homered in 10 straight games, the longest streak for the club since Sept. 19-28, 2005...McDonald, who has won three straight starts, hasn't allowed more than seven hits in any of his appearances this year...Pittsburgh went 7-for-13 with runners in scoring position.
- HOUSTON: 2
Jul 2 9:56 PM
- Neil Walker double to right scored Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones. Runner on second with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Astros 2, Pirates 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 2 9:50 PM
- Garrett Jones infield single to third scored Alex Presley. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to second and Drew Sutton advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Neil Walker due up.
Astros 2, Pirates 9 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 2 9:16 PM
- Jordan Schafer flied out to right. None on with two outs and Rhiner Cruz due up.
Astros 2, Pirates 8 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 2 8:59 PM
- Casey McGehee double to right scored Garrett Jones and Neil Walker. Runner on second with none out and Clint Barmes due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 8 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 2 8:50 PM
- Garrett Jones double to center scored Andrew McCutchen. Runner on second with none out and Neil Walker due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 2 8:41 PM
- Andrew McCutchen double to left scored Drew Sutton. Runner on second with none out and Garrett Jones due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 2 8:40 PM
- Michael McKenry struck out looking. Runner on first with one out and James McDonald due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 2 8:25 PM
- Neil Walker none out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Casey McGehee due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 2 8:18 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to right scored Jose Altuve. On the play, Brian Bogusevic advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 2 7:17 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 2 7:07 PM
- Dominguez's slam leads Astros to rout of Brewers 3:44a
- Pirates blank Reds, end Latos' unbeaten run 2:35a
- Astros reinstate Maxwell from DL 4:45p
- Latos aims to stay on track versus Pirates Tue
- Old rivals square off in Houston Tue
- ChiSox avoid sweep in Houston Tue
- Reds use long ball to defeat Pirates Mon
- Reds, Pirates start series at PNC Mon
- Astros shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of White Sox Mon
- Astros hold off White Sox Mon
- Alvarez helps Pirates down Dodgers Sun
- Astros try to keep win streak intact vs. White Sox Sun