Teixeira homers twice, Yanks rally past AngelsJul 14, 2012 - 3:57 AM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - The Yankees' first game after All-Star break ended like many before it, as they used the home run ball to come back and beat the Angels, 6-5.
Mark Teixeira's second homer of the night was a game-tying three-run blast in the eighth inning that was quickly followed by a two-out rally.
Scott Downs (1-1) retired a pair after serving up Teixeira's homer but was pulled after walking Nick Swisher. With Kevin Jepsen on the mount, pinch- runner Dewayne Wise stole second base and pinch-hitter Raul Ibanez was subsequently intentionally walked with first base open.
Russell Martin, whose average leading up to the at-bat was .177, slapped a base hit just inside the chalk down the right-field line to score Wise with the go-ahead run.
Rafael Soriano locked down his 21st save when Martin ended the game by throwing out Howie Kendrick trying to steal second base on a ball in the dirt
Teixeira also hit a two-run homer in the third inning, while Mark Trumbo belted a three-run shot for the Angels and had another one potentially stolen from him by Swisher in the eighth inning. Swisher's leaping catch at the wall ended the frame and allowed Chad Qualls (1-0) to pick up the win.
Downs was unable to hold a 5-2 lead for C.J. Wilson, who struck out seven in as many innings and gave up two runs on five hits and a pair of walks.
"Down three runs with their bullpen, not a lot of teams come back," Teixeira said. "That's a good sign for us."
Downs saw his 0.30 earned run average nearly quintuple, as he surrendered a leadoff double to Derek Jeter and walked Curtis Granderson to set the stage for Teixeira. Behind in the count 1-2, Teixeira turned on a hanging breaking ball and deposited into the left-field seats to tie things.
"When Teixeira came up I was thinking to myself, 'Here comes a double-play ball. Scott's going to get out of it again,'" recalled Wilson. "It didn't end go that way."
Teixeira had countered Erick Aybar's solo shot in the third inning with a two- run blast in the bottom half.
Yankees starter Hiroki Kuroda was cruising until putting the first two hitters on in the seventh. Albert Pujols opened the frame with a single and Kuroda plunked Kendrys Morales on a 1-2 pitch.
Trumbo stepped in next and annihilated a 94 mph slider. The ball landed in the stands over the bullpen beyond the wall in left-center.
The Angels, trying to improve to a season-best 11 games over .500, tacked on another run in the eighth on Pujols' run-scoring blooper.
Swisher denied them any more on what turned out as a game-saving catch.
The Yankees, winners in five of their last six, have homered a major league- high 136 times...Kuroda gave up five runs on eight hits over 7 1/3 innings...Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano went 1-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 16 games...This was the fifth straight game Trumbo has homered against New York...Wilson has allowed two earned runs or less in 11 of 12 road starts...Angels rookie sensation Mike Trout went 2-for-4 with a run scored and two stolen bases.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
NEW YORK: 6
Jul 13 10:09 PM
- Russell Martin single to right scored DeWayne Wise with two out. On the play, Raul Ibanez advances to third. Runners on first and third with Jayson Nix due up.
Angels 5, Yankees 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 13 9:56 PM
- Mark Teixeira none-out, three-run Home Run 2 (17) to left scored Derek Jeter and Curtis Granderson. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Angels 5, Yankees 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 13 9:40 PM
- Albert Pujols double to right scored Mike Trout with one out. Runner on second and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 5, Yankees 2 Top 8, 1 OutJul 13 9:24 PM
- Mark Trumbo none-out, three-run Home Run (23) to left center scored Albert Pujols and Kendrys Morales. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Yankees 2 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 13 8:52 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Derek Jeter. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 13 8:00 PM
- Erick Aybar one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. John Hester due up.
Angels 1, Yankees 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 13 7:44 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Bot 1, 2 Outs
Jul 13 7:18 PM
- Angels hope to remain hot in Kansas City 10:31a
- O's swamp Yankees with early offense 1:25a
- Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking Mariners 1:17a
- Yankees' Kuroda gets ball in rubber match with Orioles Wed
- Angels hope to continue offensive onslaught versus Mariners Wed
- Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycle Wed
- McLouth's blast in the 10th lifts O's over Yankees Wed
- Mariners continue road trip in Anaheim Tue
- Yankees send Hughes to hill at Camden Yards Tue
- Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O's Tue
- Orioles hope to end slide in matchup with CC, Yanks Mon
- Vargas pitches Angels past White Sox Sun