Lucroy leads Brewers past NatsSep 24, 2012 - 1:27 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Jonathan Lucroy, Carlos Gomez and Jean Segura had an RBI apiece during a go-ahead seventh inning, as the Milwaukee Brewers defeated the Washington Nationals, 6-2, on Sunday.
Lucroy added a run-scoring single in the fourth and Ryan Braun had a sacrifice fly in the eighth for the Brewers, who have won seven of eight and sit 2 1/2 games behind the St. Louis Cardinals for the NL's final wild card spot.
St. Louis defeated the Chicago Cubs on Sunday.
Yovani Gallardo gave up two runs on six hits over a five-inning start and Brandon Kintzler (3-0) earned the win with a scoreless sixth.
"He's our guy that we go to when we need to stop something going on and he usually pitches a great game," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said about Gallardo.
Chad Tracy and Jayson Werth both had a fifth-inning RBI for the Nationals, who have already clinched a playoff berth and have a magic number of six to wrap up the NL East.
Chien-Ming Wang got the start for Washington and allowed two runs on eight hits over four innings while Ryan Mattheus (5-3) gave up three runs in the seventh to take the loss.
"I thought (Wang) threw the ball well. I didn't want to go too many pitches with him, but I was pleased with the way he threw," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said.
A leadoff single by Rickie Weeks, a double by Aramis Ramirez and an intentional walk to Corey Hart loaded the bases in the seventh.
Lucroy then followed with an infield single to make it 3-2 and Carlos Gomez followed with a fly ball to right, which Werth lost in the sun, allowing Ramirez to score.
Segura's RBI groundout capped the three-run frame.
Jonathan Axford stranded a pair in the ninth to notch his 33rd save of the season.
Braun doubled to start the fourth and moved to third base on Hart's one- out single before Lucroy brought him home with a base hit to right.
Logan Schafer's subsequent double plated Lucroy for a 2-0 lead.
The Nationals tied it in the fifth on Tracy's RBI single and Werth's sacrifice fly.
Gallardo hasn't lost since July 27. He is 3-2 in eight games -- seven starts -- against the Nationals in his career ... Wang made his ninth appearance -- fifth start -- of the season ... Washington leads the season-series, 4-3.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Sep 23 5:20 PM
- Aramis Ramirez flied out to center. Runner on third with two outs and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 6, Nationals 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 23 4:44 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Brewers 5, Nationals 2 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 23 4:29 PM
- Carlos Gomez single to center scored Aramis Ramirez with one out. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second and Corey Hart advances to third. Bases loaded and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 4, Nationals 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 23 4:23 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to short scored Ryan Braun with one out. On the play, Corey Hart advances to second and Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Bases loaded and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 3, Nationals 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 23 4:21 PM
- Jayson Werth sacrifice fly to left scored Danny Espinosa with two outs. Runner on first and Bryce Harper due up.
Brewers 2, Nationals 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 23 3:43 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chad Tracy singled to right scored Ian Desmond with one out. On the play, Danny Espinosa advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jayson Werth due up.
Brewers 2, Nationals 1 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 23 3:40 PM
- Logan Schafer double to right scored Corey Hart with one out. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 2, Nationals 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 23 2:54 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to right scored Ryan Braun with one out. On the play, Corey Hart advances to second. Runners on first and second and Logan Schafer due up.
Brewers 1, Nationals 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 23 2:54 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 23 1:37 PM
- AP Interview: Union head Tony Clark pitches for more jobs Thu
- Pitcher Craig Stammen, Indians agree to minor league deal Mon
- Expected rebuild will still test patience of Brewers owner Feb 3
- Brendan Ryan agrees to minor league deal with Nats Feb 2
- Arizona sending Milwaukee $6.5 million as part of Hill trade Feb 1
- Brewers' Braun says he's making progress after back surgery Jan 31
- D-backs send Anderson, Hill to Brewers for SS Segura, Wagner Jan 30
- Right-hander Doug Fister, Astros agree to $7M, 1-year deal Jan 28
- Rebuilding Brewers acquire Liriano, former Padres prospect Jan 28
- Bronson Arroyo agrees to minor league deal with Nationals Jan 26
- Milwaukee Brewers catcher Lucroy says trade might be best Jan 20
- Angels sign veteran reliever Al Alburquerque to 1-year deal Jan 15